Does anyone have a german shepherd with back leg problems?

1. camo3166 profile image60
    camo3166posted 7 years ago

Does anyone have a german shepherd with back leg problems?

I have a german shepherd that i adopted which i speak about in my hub. She has a problem with her back leg. It makes her yelp and cry very much at times after she is sitting down for a while. I was wondering if this is due to arthritis or if maybe she just pulled a muscle. We took her to the vet and they tried to sell us a 6000 dollar surgery which is just a joke and it didnt seem like he even cared. If you guys have any suggestions please let me know!!

2. C. Loudermilk profile image60
    C. Loudermilkposted 7 years ago

without more details as to where on the leg it hurts, it's hard to pin what's wrong.
    But a common problem with big dogs is hip dysplasia, where part or all of the hip joint breaks down. if that is what's the problem, then the surgery is recommended.

3. Kate Mc Bride profile image87
    Kate Mc Brideposted 5 years ago

I have often heard that they are prone to arthritis of the hip from about age ten so it sounds like  that.The poor dog-she doesn't deserve that.It must be hard to know she is in pain.Keep her as comfortable as you can is all you can do.On the other hand,I have a ceramic hinge instead of a hip on one side which I was very reluctant to get and I don't  take any notice of it apart from appreciating the mobility and lack of pain.
    Don't big dogs live until about fifteen?The surgery might be a good idea but it is very expensive.
    What age is she?

working