jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the difference between a Jack Russell Terrier and a Parson Russell Terri

1. JKenny profile image93
    JKennyposted 6 years ago

What is the difference between a Jack Russell Terrier and a Parson Russell Terrier?

2. annart profile image87
    annartposted 6 years ago

Your question intrigued me as I'd never heard of a Parson Russell, so I looked it up.  It appears the Parson is taller and lighter in weight, having a slightly squarer face and coarser coat.  The longer legs were bred so that they could accompany horses on hunts, presumably to run faster.  I'm now trying to find out more!  As a matter of trivia, the French are really keen on Jack Russells; many of them are called d'Jack!  The d' is to overcome the soft French pronunciation of the letter j - weird, eh?!

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

The Parson Russell Terrier was developed by Rev. Parson, an avid fox hunter in the 1800's. Following his death the Parson Russell Terrier was crossed with other terriers and the Welsh Corgi to create the Jack Russell Terrier.

4. mistyhorizon2003 profile image95
    mistyhorizon2003posted 6 years ago

Our friend has a Parson's Jack Russell called 'Dave'. They are taller than the Jack Russells we are generally used to seeing, but if Dave is anything to go by they have a great temperament.

5. Daniel Guggenheim profile image58
    Daniel Guggenheimposted 6 years ago

The Parson also has longer legs than the jack and a mostly white coat with little tan or black markings. It should also have a longer head and larger body than the jack. The breed standard also requires the height to be within 13 and 14 inches at the withers while the Jack comes in a greater variety of heights.The nose should also always be black. A brown or liver coloured nose is a with holding fault in the show ring. The jack Russell sometimes has a wire coat whereas the Parson shougld have a much softer coat.