In your Experience, what are the Most Common Dog Behavioural Problems?

1. VendettaVixen profile image70
    VendettaVixenposted 6 years ago

In your Experience, what are the Most Common Dog Behavioural Problems?

You give excellent advice in your hubs on how to properly coax dogs into behaving well. What complaints and/or requests do you most often get regarding misbehaving canines?

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

Thank you for the question, Vendetta. I didn't know you could direct a question to an individual.

The most common issues people consult me for are housesoiling, jumping, biting (mostly as in nipping), aggression, pulling on leash, not listening, chewing and to a lesser extent severe anxiety or shyness and separation anxiety.

While I want to address the behavior problems right off to put an owner's mind at ease, I find that the dogs with behavior issues are usually dogs that have had little or no training or socialization. So, we need to incorporate basic training into our behavior modification plan.

The issue with dogs that I'm consulted for that have had training is usually aggression due to the type of training they've had, although some people consult me because they are competing with their dog and want to fine tune their dog's performance with clicker training.

While it may seem tedious to teach a dog to sit when greeting people, sit for his dinner, focus on his owner, go to a designated place and respond promptly to his name, these basic behaviors are what builds a well trained dog you can live with and will go a long way in preventing behavior problems.