jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

I have a rabbit in my garden and it is eating the tops of the bulbs. How do I st

1. Shawn May Scott profile image61
    Shawn May Scottposted 6 years ago

I have a rabbit in my garden and it is eating the tops of the bulbs. How do I stop it???

2. Diana Lee profile image83
    Diana Leeposted 6 years ago

Rabbits can be a problem sometimes. A fence around the garden will help some and it need not be very high but they sometimes dig under them.  We hung aluminum pie tins around our vegetable garden one year which stopped them from eating off plants. When the wind blows the pans make a lot of noise with enough of them used together.

3. aslaught profile image59
    aslaughtposted 6 years ago

I agree with the pie tins.  I've heard this works.  If nothing else works,  you could have bunny rabbit stew.   I'm just kidding!!   I love bunny rabbits.

4. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

It's an easy problem to fix - just cover with netting. Fencing won't work - they can find a way under or around or over it. Stake the netting so that it is not touching the bulbs and they cannot get to them. You might also give them something else to eat - plant some clover or get some rabbit food - while that might attract them to your yard, it might also keep them away from your bulbs.

5. Caveman Etris profile image73
    Caveman Etrisposted 6 years ago

I have a garden and plenty of rabbits in the yard. If you use a fence that has small holes, such as chicken wire or hardware cloth and is at least 3 feet high then you will be fine. Though, I advise using a taller fence to also keep out other animals, such as deer and groundhogs. It is best to put some of the fence in the ground or place bricks next to each other around the fence. This prevents them from digging under if they are desperate. Also, there is rabbit and deer repellent. We use it here and it works well. It does not harm any wildlife and it is safe to use right on vegetables as well, if you grow any.  We use it on flowers and vegetables, since deer eat more flowers than rabbits. The repellent smells bad but works very well if used properly. I had to wrangle a groundhog out of the garden one year and never want to have to do that again. We now spray the repellent around the garden as well as on the plants.

6. Shawn May Scott profile image61
    Shawn May Scottposted 6 years ago

Okay and thanks for the suggestions. Here is a little more on the issue. This is my front garden and fencing is out of the question. I have already fenced my veg garden in the back but I need a solution for the front of the house?

Closed to reply

working