jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

How to get rid of ants from my organic vegetable garden? Ants eat my Strawberrie

1. stricktlydating profile image80
    stricktlydatingposted 8 years ago

How to get rid of ants from my organic vegetable garden? Ants eat my Strawberries before they ripen.

I use companion planting and don't have a problem with any other bugs or pests, I just don't  know how to erradicate ants from my crops.

2. pippap profile image85
    pippapposted 8 years ago

Cornmeal.  Sprinkle cornmeal around your garden.  Ants eat the cornmeal, cannot digest it and pass away.

3. Cathi Sutton profile image74
    Cathi Suttonposted 8 years ago

Benificial nematobes!  You can buy them at garden supply centers, and sometimes places like Home Depot, or probably order them online.  They are microcsopic "bugs" that go down into the ant coloney and eat the eggs.  So you may still see adult ants for awhile, but they will eventually die, and the eggs are gone!  You mix the nematobes with water, and spray them on.  Plus they don't harm anything, except dirt dwelling bugs, like fleas, ants, etc.  Hope this helps!

4. GreenGoodsGuide profile image58
    GreenGoodsGuideposted 7 years ago

The best companion plant to repel ants are the allium plants-- onions, chives, garlic, leeks, and shallots. Tansy is really great for ant control, but it is poisonous to grazing animals as well.

You can also take your used coffee grounds and spread them around your strawberry plants. Coffee grounds are beneficial to the soil too!

Keep a spray bottle filled with soapy water for spraying any ants you see.

For other pest control, read here:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Organic-Gardeni … er-Control

5. hitechlandscaping profile image56
    hitechlandscapingposted 7 years ago

Another organic solution is cinnamon and black pepper. Liberally spread them around your strawberries and you should be good to go!

Of course, I'd recommend pest control, not just a deterrent!

6. reddog1027 profile image86
    reddog1027posted 7 years ago

Dust the berries, plants and the dirt under them with my favorite non-toxic bug killer, diatemacious (spelling may be wrong, not done with coffee yet}.  Get the kind in garden centers not the kind used in swimming poos as it has bleach in it.  It is deadly to ants and other insects yet won't hurt plants.  Just re-apply after it rains.

7. frankwiggler profile image62
    frankwigglerposted 7 years ago

Since your garden is an organic one, try "Worm Tea" (http://hubpages.com/hub/Red-Wiggler-wor … e-Worm-Tea) Worm tea is made from worm castings(dropping). In a nutshell, it's the juice of their droppings, It surely is an organic way of repelling those ants without having to spray harmful insecticides that may leave harmful chemical residues when you harvest your organic garden's bounty. Try it! ^^

8. nlclark profile image61
    nlclarkposted 7 years ago

Diatomacious Earth.  It's all natural.  You sprinkle it around the plants.  It is coarse to insects.  When they walk over it, it scratches them, and they dehydrate within 24 hours.

9. mrpooper profile image53
    mrpooperposted 7 years ago

If you get rid of the uncles, the aunts will follow LOL. Sorry, I had to do it!

10. dragynmyrlin profile image61
    dragynmyrlinposted 6 years ago

Black pepper is the cheapest way.  Simply sprinkle black pepper all around the edges of your beds to make a fairly solid line and the ants will keep away.  Ants often follow aphids so you might want to check your strawberries for aphids as well.

11. gardenconnected profile image51
    gardenconnectedposted 6 years ago

diatomacious earth will repell the ants. Just sprinkle around the strawberry garden and coat the soil also.

12. LuisEGonzalez profile image88
    LuisEGonzalezposted 6 years ago

Ok no jokes here...I'm still trying to recover from the park and uncle bits...lol

Seriously, the cornmeal is a good suggestion or you can mix three parts water with one part lemon juice(concentrate works too) spray the plants. It does not harm the plants and the oil naturally found in the lemons makes it hold during rain. Should be repeated once per week.

working