How do you potty train a puppy ?

1. Niicks profile image72
    Niicksposted 6 years ago

How do you potty train a puppy ?

2. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 6 years ago

I would imagine tha it is hard task to train a puppy to sit on a potty, I've always taught mine to run to the back door and bark when they need to relieve themselves.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

I prefer the crate training method. Use the crate when you are not able to directly supervise your puppy and do not crate your puppy for longer than 2 hours at a time. When your puppy is out, watch closely for any indication that s/he needs to go "potty." Take her out on leash and wait 1-2 minutes, then come inside. If she eliminates while you're out, praise her and give her a treat. If she doesn't go, and you think s/he should have to, put him/her int he crate (in a matter-of-fact way) for 10-15 minutes and try again. When s/he goes, s/he an be out, but beware, if s/he plays, s/he will probably have to go again! Take your puppy out first thing in the morning, last thing at night, after eating, after play, and after waking up from a nap. The reason crate training is effective is because dogs do not prefer to eliminate where they sleep. That's it in a nutshell - one more thing --- do not punish your puppy! Any advice that tells you to punish your dog, for example by pushing her/his nose in its urine or stool, is wrong - don't do it!