jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why won't my puppy potty train?

1. Leaderofmany profile image60
    Leaderofmanyposted 5 years ago

Why won't my puppy potty train?

I have a six month old mini dachshund that will not potty train? Any ideas?

2. Dragonrain profile image85
    Dragonrainposted 5 years ago

It would help if you described what you've tried so far.  Potty training sometimes takes some time.  My dog wasn't consistently asking to go outside to use the bathroom until he was around 8 months old.  Some dogs catch on to it faster than others. 

I always suggest positive reinforcement training, and supervision is key!  The trick is to set your dog up for success, and not allow him to sneak off an have an accident.  If you can't directly supervise at all times, consider crate training and crate when you can't supervise.   

http://dragonrain.hubpages.com/hub/Pott … breed-dogs

3. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Because animals don't use a potty, they prefer to relieve them selves outside.

4. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Is this a photo of your puppy? I can always fix a problem with housebreaking if I have more information about what has already been tried, but unfortunately I don't have this information so I cannot offer any advice.

5. Becky Katz profile image84
    Becky Katzposted 5 years ago

Dachshund's are one of the stubborn breeds, they take longer. Don't give up, be consistant, take them out hourly and keep working on it. I never liked pad training because it teaches them that it is all right to go in the house. Adorable puppy.