jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Our dog had leg amputated 4 days ago, the pic below is how the wound looks, do u

1. Dalis DeLeon profile image52
    Dalis DeLeonposted 6 years ago

Our dog had leg amputated 4 days ago, the pic below is how the wound looks, do u thnk is infected?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6409400_f260.jpg

2. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 6 years ago

Oh gosh I am so sorry. Based on this picture I would say it looks like it. If I were you I'd take him/her (sorry can't tell) back in to get some antibiotics.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

Poor dog - it is hard to tell by this photo but it is awfully red. I would take your dog to the vet first thing Monday morning for an evaluation! Sorry this happened to your dog!

4. Dalis DeLeon profile image52
    Dalis DeLeonposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6409736_f260.jpg

thanks to you both... it's a boy.. Roman (2 yrs old) the surgery was 4 days ago and the Vet said redness and black and blue was okay... but if we saw yellowish or it smelled bad then we needed to take him back... but my husband thinks it's too red... so I will call the Vet Monday morning and ask them and if anything, say it gets worst tmo... then I'll just take him there Monday morning... we just don't want him to be anymore uncomfortable that what is normal for the surgery...

PS. that's him before he got hit by a car and was left there like they could care less..

5. profile image0
    Tripawdsposted 6 years ago

I'm sorry your pup lost her leg and send all the best for a speedy recovery. Now, keep in mind that I am not a vet and so I can't offer any type of advice as to what you should or shouldn't do. It's also hard to tell from this pic. But the things to look out for when it comes to post-surgery incisions are discussed in these blog posts: http://tripawds.com/?s=seroma

You want to watch out for smelly, yellow/green discharge. Also if the wound isn't closing, that's another sign that you need to go in.

Whenever you're in doubt, see your vet. Good luck. Consider joining us at the Tripawds dot come community for more support.

6. afriqnet profile image51
    afriqnetposted 6 years ago

Hi Dalis,
    I am thinking about the post surgical infection you are talking about but the photo is not clearly visible. I would like to advice you as follows:

Post surgical infection can only be as a result of contamination after surgery and this is least possible since the surgeon most likely took care of that.

From what I can see these seems to be a mild case of hyperemia a condition characterized by reddening and swelling of the skin due to trauma during surgery

The actual infection has to show some signs like ulceration and production of pus or discharge. I would be interested to know if you have observed this.
    I will also appreciate to see up close photos for me to give more precise advice.
    I hope this helps
    Dr Joe

working