jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Do you break your own horses or send them to a trainer? Is there a style of trai

1. Charlu profile image81
    Charluposted 5 years ago

Do you break your own horses or send them to a trainer? Is there a style of training you prefer?

Some people break their own horses because they want them trained in a specific style.  There are some people that like horses that are very leggy and respond to body language when riding (that's me), while others prefer a reining horse even if they're not using them for shows. Some do a lot of ground work while others believe in just getting on and breaking the horses spirit.  Which do you prefer and why?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6520142_f260.jpg

2. kevins blog52 profile image77
    kevins blog52posted 5 years ago

I prefer a gentle hand giving the horse a chance to know and learn what you are asking them to do.

1. Charlu profile image81
      Charluposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi Kevin I agree with you 100%  I think ground work and a sense of trust between the horse and rider are crucial when it comes to training and thanks for pointing that out. If a horse doesn't know what you want him to do it only leads to confusion.

3. renee21 profile image82
    renee21posted 5 years ago

I prefer the term training instead of breaking.  Breaking sounds like you're breaking the horse's spirit.  That's cruel.  I like to train my own horses.  I like Buck Brannaman's method of befriending and training a horse.

working