jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Would you break the law to save a loved one?

1. PositronWildhawk profile image77
    PositronWildhawkposted 4 years ago

Would you break the law to save a loved one?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

To save a loved one? I would probably break any law out there.

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

I'm in agreement with Jthomp. There isn't a law more important than my family.

4. profile image0
    MysticMoonlightposted 4 years ago

Absolutely! I'd never hesitate to save those dear me, no matter the penalty.

5. profile image54
    tbHistorianposted 4 years ago

I would break any law to save a loved one.  More importantly, I would break the law to save anyone.  In my opinion, Law is applicable only to the lawless.

1. lone77star profile image83
      lone77starposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Good point, but if you break any law, you become lawless, to a degree. In America's new tyranny, you can be arrested without charges, phone, lawyer or hearing. On the whim of the arresting officer (NDAA 2012).

6. passionate77 profile image60
    passionate77posted 4 years ago

yes offcourse, i would be breaking law if it comes to save my nearest and dearest ones, but only in the case when law breaking does not hurt or do any harm to any other innocent person.

7. lone77star profile image83
    lone77starposted 4 years ago

A part of me would want to, but I'm becoming more conflicted.

The greater law is obedience -- not to mortal law, but to God's law.

If we cannot obey even tyrannical laws (and America now has so many), then we don't have enough humility to obey God's laws. And, let's face it, it's His universe.

I feel this might not be popular, based on the other answers. But our immortality is at stake. Getting it right is too important to me. I'm tired of the repetition: life, death, birth, poopy diapers, zits, growing up, life, death, birth,...

Jesus said, resist not evil. Turn the other cheek. That's a tough one, but then I only have to look at Gandhi to feel the bliss. Or Christ on the Cross, sacrificing it all so that we can reclaim our birthright as children of God.

These bodies are meaningless if we lose our immortal soul. You cannot show a greater love than to give your life for your friends or loved ones. I hope I would do this gladly if the need ever arose.

But breaking the law may be just as bad as being a disobedient slave. And as much as I abhor slavery, I would rather be an obedient slave and give generously, than to be arrogant and free.