jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

How to stop a puppy from pulling up flowers and digging?

1. stephhicks68 profile image87
    stephhicks68posted 5 years ago

How to stop a puppy from pulling up flowers and digging?

Our three month old puppy loves to pull flowers out of our planters and destroy our landscaping.  We have another, older dog that just watches her wreak havoc.  I've tried watching her more closely and catching her in the act, but need some help!

2. DrMark1961 profile image99
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

Hi Steph often dogs that like to dig in planters do so because their owners also dig/garden/whatever. The best method I know about to diminish the problem is not punishment, it is redirection. Make a spot in your garden just for her, bury a favorite toy or some smelly treats in that spot, praise her when she digs there. Kind of like giving the little kids toy gardening tools, right? Let her play along.

stephhicks68posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Awesome!  I totally agree!  thanks- Steph

3. Les Trois Chenes profile image91
    Les Trois Chenesposted 5 years ago

If you find out, do let me know! Our dog Molly always does that!

4. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Don't stop her - divert her. Give your dog her own digging spot. Bury treats and toys in the spot for her to "find." If she starts digging elsewhere, gently lead her to her digging spot. Also, be careful not to plant and dig when your dog can see you and keep her diverted when there is freshly dug dirt - a temptation!

stephhicks68posted 5 years agoin reply to this

What a great idea!!  I've applied diversion to biting/chewing, so it makes total sense.  Love your advice.  thanks again, Steph

5. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Hello Steph, The reason dogs do this type of behavior is because they are bored. He just needs something else to stimulate his mind. smile

6. grousepup profile image72
    grousepupposted 5 years ago

All puppies are precocious and inquisitive. Once they get started doing something that seems like fun, they'll continue doing it. Your best bet to try to discourage puppy from current behavior is to provide distractions. Get his/her favorite toys and start playing enthusiastically, thus diverting attention from pulling up plants and digging. Also, take him for a short walk before errant behavior starts.

Eventually, if you're persistent, you puppy will probably outgrow these bad tendencies.

Good luck,
    John Falk

working