jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Have you considered joining the back yard chicken craze?

1. Helena Ricketts profile image96
    Helena Rickettsposted 5 years ago

Have you considered joining the back yard chicken craze?

I keep hearing more and more people are getting chickens.  If you are considering it or have done it recently, what is your plan for taking care of them?

2. sadie423 profile image93
    sadie423posted 5 years ago

We've had chickens for the past 5 years. 25 of them at least at all times. They are really easy to care for, can live in a small space- 2 sq ft per bird shelter space and eat bugs, weeds  and pay for themselves in eggs.

3. ThruBlueEyes profile image60
    ThruBlueEyesposted 5 years ago

I remebmer we had chickens growing up....I loved going out and getting the eggs for breakfast in the morning but I didn't like having to clean the coop once a week.  I think we had about 40 (but I was a kis then so I could be remember that number wrong...there were a lot of them).  They mostly just ate the bugs and stuff in the ground but we did scatter chicken feed in the areas we wanted them to go to them most.

4. ThePracticalMommy profile image97
    ThePracticalMommyposted 5 years ago

I'm not going to join, partly because I live in a city and partly because I remember how horrible the smell was when the neighbors had them a few years ago (of course, they were not properly cared for...).

I'd say if you have enough space and have the resources to properly care for them, go for it.

5. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

No. I hate chickens and would never consider having them near my home.