jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Can chickens live with rabbits in the same run?

1. nasus loops profile image68
    nasus loopsposted 5 years ago

Can chickens live with rabbits in the same run?

We are thinking of getting some rabbits and also chickens and are wondering if it is safe to have the both in the same run with separate sleeping areas.

2. DrMark1961 profile image99
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

I knew plenty of people in Morocco that kept chickens and rabbits in the same pen. Chickens can get aggressive at times so you should build your rabbits dens to hide in (you can use large clay pipes, like the type used to build sewage systems).
    There is some concern about coccidiosis but it is debatable whether or not that is  a problem; it may be that chicken coccidia do not infect rabbits. There are a lot of other diseases though. In the Sahara these were not an issue but if you are in a wet climate like the UK you really need to keep your run clean, every day!
    No matter how you choose to go you will have fun!

nasus loopsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your answer Dr Mark.  We are going to choose rabbits today and are really looking forward to it.

3. afriqnet profile image49
    afriqnetposted 5 years ago

When growing up my parents kept chicken and rabbits in the same area and I never saw them fighting. I think they can coexist together.

nasus loopsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your answer afriqnet.  When we collected rabbits from RSPCA we were told that we should be able to keep chickens with them in the same run.

working