jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Why do dogs eat grass?

1. scoop profile image84
    scoopposted 5 years ago

Why do dogs eat grass?

Does it mean that they are sick when they eat grass?

2. profile image0
    Headfullofsoundposted 5 years ago

Not always.  It could mean that they're merely curious about the taste, or need a "palate cleanser", or are really hungry.  I'm also wondering if it can't indicate constipation - sounds like that yummy grass has tons of fiber in it!

3. Desertarmor profile image73
    Desertarmorposted 5 years ago

There are 2 main reasons, The first is that them may have an upset stomach with too much acid and the grass elevates the feeling. The second is that 2 fold, the dog may not be getting the minerals that its body needs from the food they are getting, or if they are more licking the grass than eating it, they are getting the sent of something, IE if the male dog is licking the grass he is more likely than not  getting the sent of either a female in heat, or a small animal.

4. profile image0
    ignugent17posted 5 years ago

They say it is good for digestion.  They like to play with it too and maybe liked the taste.

5. wetnosedogs profile image58
    wetnosedogsposted 5 years ago

I always thought it was because they are feeling ill, but as answered already, some are licking the grass for a scent. My youngest, who is part lab, definitely likes to show off her lab self to get a scent on something while they've been stuck in the house while I'm working. And after a rain, especially, her nose is to the ground, right in the grass, smelling and trailing something that wanted to get out of the rain.

6. afriqnet profile image52
    afriqnetposted 5 years ago

There is a deficiency syndrome that is associated with animal eating anything (foreign objects ) and grass is a primary thing that is eaten by carnivores.  I think the reasons why this happens is due to indigestion problem or mineral deficiency.

7. Sparhawke profile image61
    Sparhawkeposted 5 years ago

More than likely because grass is an emetic, that is to say a dog has stomach issues it will likely eat grass; something they would otherwise rarely do. You have to remember that the sulfuric acid in a dogs stomach is some 20 times stronger than our own which is why they can withstand eating raw chicken...lets face it here, if your dog did not throw up the grass would you ever have noticed?

8. Woodchuck47 profile image70
    Woodchuck47posted 5 years ago

I believe they do it when they have upset stomachs. But it doesn't make a difference because eventually they'll just puke it up too.

9. love my yorkies profile image60
    love my yorkiesposted 5 years ago

It actually calms their digestive system if it is upset.

working