jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Why do dogs eat grass?

1. Shyron E Shenko profile image82
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 8 months ago

Why do dogs eat grass?

It seems that when Chipper has an upset tummy he will nibble on grass, I don't know if that is normal or not.

2. gregas profile image82
    gregasposted 8 months ago

I was always told the eat grass when their stomach is somewhat upset because the chlorophyll tends to settle and the roughage helps the bowl movement. My dog tends to do it regularly. When I was living in an apartment he would wake me at times to go outside and he would eat grass.

Shyron E Shenkoposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Thank you Greg for your quick answer, I really appreciate it.

3. alexadry profile image97
    alexadryposted 8 months ago

This has been a subject of debate for some time: Do dogs eat grass to  vomit, or do they vomit as a result of eating ate grass? It seems to be there are dogs that eat grass just because they crave greens, and others purposely eat it to vomit. In my experience, I have seen dogs eat grass because they like it, and some to make themselves sick.When they do it when they're nauseous they often eat it quickly and indiscriminately, taking mouthfuls at once rather than calmly. One curious thing I am seeing in my dogs is the choice of grass.  Often, the tender grass is just for pleasure, while the rougher, dryer grass is for the purpose of vomiting as the roughage seems to better work to stimulate the vomiting reflex.

1. gregas profile image82
      gregasposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Mine eats grass and never throws it up.

2. Shyron E Shenko profile image82

Adrienne, thank you for the comment.  When Chipper had an upset stomach he was eating grass and he vomited and then he ate more and he was fine.

4. bravewarrior profile image90
    bravewarriorposted 8 months ago

Dogs and cats both eat grass when their digestive system is upset. It's better than taking Tums! For real.

Thank you Shauna, for answering my question, I really appreciate you.  Maybe I should eat some grass.

2. bravewarrior profile image90
      bravewarriorposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Raw organic almonds do the trick for human heartburn, Shy.

working