Why Do Cats Like Catnip So Much?

1. PhoenixV profile image71
    PhoenixVposted 5 years ago

Why Do Cats Like Catnip So Much?

What is the physiological explanation or reason why cats like catnip? What is in catnip that cats like so much? Are there any other plants that cats like? What is catnip doing to cats?

2. tlmcgaa70 profile image76
    tlmcgaa70posted 5 years ago

it is rare for kittens less than 4 months old to respond to the allure of catnip. so it has some connection to their hormones. at the same time even adult cats who have been fixed still adore it. my mother gives catnip to her very elderly cat to help relieve the pain of arthritis. in moderate amounts it is fine. it probably puts them in a state of temporary euphoria. when i have severe pain and i take medicine to relieve it, the sudden lack of pain gives me a sense of well being that is near to euphoria.  the scent of the catnip, and there are several plants in this family that are related, mint family....horsemint grows wild here and cats treat it the same as catnip, in fact it is also called catmint. anyway the scent could be considered like aroma therapy. there are many websites out there that give lists of what plants are safe and what plants are not and i would google them and do some research before feeding plants to your cats as sometimes just one bite of a plant can kill your cat before you ever have time to take it to the vet...so it is best to be sure before you try it.