jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

How smart is your dog?

1. afriqnet profile image50
    afriqnetposted 5 years ago

How smart is your dog?

How smart is your dog and what makes you think he is smart? Please tell us the dog breed and the kind of things he can do that make him smart. I expect answers that are above the ordinary tricks that every other dog can perform.

2. 34th Bomb Group profile image61
    34th Bomb Groupposted 5 years ago

Yes, he's smart. Most of the evidence could be considered Pavlovian, but he responds properly to commands voiced in any way - harshly, calmly, softly,  loudly, etc. He knows where his stuff is as he keeps it all in one place - with a little help. He uses different sounds to get my attention.  He's peculiar but he's mine!

afriqnetposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Interesting, thanks for your answer

2. 34th Bomb Group profile image61
      34th Bomb Groupposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I forgot he answers to commands in English AND German.

3. afriqnet profile image50

smile I know see how smart he is ..if he can understand commands in two languages he is definitely SMART.  You forgot to tell us about what is the breed is your dog ?

4. 34th Bomb Group profile image61
      34th Bomb Groupposted 5 years agoin reply to this

. He's a Schipperke - Belgian.  Terrific protection as well although the barking can get a little annoying.  There are pics of him in some of my Hubs.

5. afriqnet profile image50

I will check out your Hubs

3. agilitymach profile image96
    agilitymachposted 5 years ago

My dogs are all super smart. They are all shelties.  Why are they smart? Well, they're dogs first and foremost, but also they are all highly trained competition agility and/or obedience dogs.  They are trained to read a slight flip of my wrist or even where my eyes are looking.  They are expected to read these small, small details in a millisecond as I tell them what obstacle to take next on an agility course.  Here are a few videos that show my dogs in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ3DhIsk0J4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL6kxsTVo9U

I think almost all dogs are smart.  Their humans just need to learn how to tap into their dogs. smile

Interesting videos I too think your dogs are SMART.

working