jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What dog food is best for skin allergies?

1. afriqnet profile image51
    afriqnetposted 5 years ago

What dog food is best for skin allergies?

Do your dog get skin allergies? Do you think you can solve this problem with good nutrition and what dog food do you use if you have had a similar problem?

2. wetnosedogs profile image60
    wetnosedogsposted 5 years ago

Bella has allergies. I changed her food twice. She now eats grain free. She can't have corn, soy or wheat. I get 4health food which was suggested by the vet and cheaper than other brands by a bit. The dogs like salmon and potato dry food and the can food.

3. Bob Bamberg profile image95
    Bob Bambergposted 5 years ago

It's almost a sure bet that food is not going to solve the problem unless an ingredient is identified as the allergen and is eliminated from the diet.  Otherwise, about the best a high quality food can do is support the skin.

Depending on the allergens, dogs with skin allergies are often put on prescription diets, which are available only through veterinarians.

If the veterinarian is OK with the owner trying something over-the-counter, any of the grain free foods would be the way to go.  Sometimes a novel protein, such as bison or duck is more helpful. 

Some dogs may not have a full blown allergy to grains, but they can have an intolerance of them, again, making the grain-free formulations more suitable.

1. agilitymach profile image98
      agilitymachposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree that you have to target exactly which food item is causing the allergies.  My dog had issue with allergies to different proteins, and I had to switch her every year or so to a different type of protein. Finally, I hit fish which worked well.

working