Isn't it healthier for dogs to eat raw meat than commercially prepared dog food

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Blond Logic profile image90
    Blond Logicposted 11 years ago

Isn't it healthier for dogs  to eat raw meat than commercially prepared dog food?

I am considering changing my dog's diet. Currently they get a mixture of commercial dog food, rice, raw chicken, raw beef heart, carrots, eggs and left-overs. My friend gives her dogs only raw meat, fruit, leaves, carrots, eggs and bones. They are healthy with beautiful coats. Which is best?Also, do they need a filler such as rice or other carbs?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8136721_f260.jpg

2. angryelf profile image89
    angryelfposted 11 years ago

Yes! Raw meat is better. The digestive system of a dog (and cats) is built for raw meat. *IF* they were wild, they would also munch on some grasses, berries, eggs, and other items on occasion; especially when meat isn't readily available. Raw meat is harder to digest than cooked meat, because cooking the meat breaks it down. For the sake of living with modern medicine, it is a good idea to give dogs the nutrients we know they need; which will be hard to do on a raw meat diet that you supply. Since they are not roaming the wild freely, they are not able to instinctively eat whatever it is their body desires for particular nutrients (like when we get a craving for dairy when we need calcium, or a craving for certain fruits or veggies when we lack vitamins). I'd say to just browse different veterinary PDF's & research material to determine the route you prefer most for your dog's health smile Also, if they were wild, dogs would eat the entire animal other than hair (some even eat that). Internal organs provide different nutrients (Liver= iron for example), so I would think a regular raw meat diet that does NOT include these other organs wouldn't necessarily replace a "natural" raw meat diet? That just my curiosity there... but I'm sure you get what I'm saying smile Good luck!

Blond Logicposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I think people use commercially prepared food because it is less time consuming for them, not necessarily better for the dog. Thanks for your response.

2. agilitymach profile image96
      agilitymachposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually, research shows that domesticated dogs NEED carbs in their diet and digest them way better than wolves.  Remember, dogs are not wolves.  A high protein diet is hard on the domesticated dogs' kidneys and is flat dangerous.

3. DrMark1961 profile image100
      DrMark1961posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, according to research supported by Ol' Roy and funded by Purina, carb fillers are an important part of a dog´s diet. And no, a high protein diet is not dangerous.

3. DrMark1961 profile image100
    DrMark1961posted 11 years ago

No, they do not need a carb filler, but the most natural diet contains everything, not just organ meat,so your current diet sounds really balanced. I feed my dog a raw diet and she has put on about 10 kilos of muscle, plus her coat looks better than ever.
    There are lots of good recipes on the internet, look under BARF diet (bones and raw food).
    I always try to feed my dog those parts of a cow that humans do not consume. It is not only frugal, it is more ecologically sound. Ask your butcher about "pele de carne de cabeca" since the skin from the head has a lot of muscle, a lot of fat, and a lot of fiber. I buy it for R$1,50/kilo, which is less than even the cheap dog foods.
    (If your dogs are overweight be careful about the chicken skin because it is high in fat and can provoke pancreatitis.)
    What kind of leaves does your friend give her dogs? That is very strange.

The Moringa oleifera. It is a miracle tree. My friend used to be a Red Cross nurse in Africa and has seen the difference this tree can make to a village.
      I have a friend who slaughters a cow every weekend so will look into getting the head. Thanks

4. Melissa A Smith profile image100
    Melissa A Smithposted 11 years ago

I think your diet sounds good the way it is, actually. Some people experience issues when they change their dogs to an all raw meat diet. Others report wonderful effects. Are you not happy with the results of your dog's diet? If not, I don't see the need to convert them. In terms of fillers, I think that the best kind are the not so cheap sources; vegetables, not grains such as corn and rice. These are great for you dog to have and actually there was a study done that showed dogs have a higher tolerance for carbohydrates over wolves, therefore they are more 'omnivorous'. I would say that with varied vegetable sources (other than potatoes) a diet will be very healthy. Sweet potatoes are also great for dogs, just watch the amounts given. I also prefer to toss in some herbal sources of antioxidants and other compounds to ward off common illnesses. Coconut oil is also great.

Hi Melissa,
      We have many coconut trees here and one of our dogs roots out the burned coconuts and eats the meat. Alas he does this to excess and gets diarrhea. His coat looks much shinier though! Thanks for your answer.

2. DrMark1961 profile image100

I grow coconut and split one for my dogs each day (they actually like it better than my chickens do!) They never have loose stools, so if I were you would look into other causes of diarrhea.

5. JayeWisdom profile image80
    JayeWisdomposted 11 years ago

I do not advocate feeding pets commercially processed food, regardless of the price or the words “premium” and “natural” on the label. I’ve been feeding my own dog home-cooked food for the past couple of years, and she thrives on it. I would never consider raw food for her.  First of all, she had pancreatitis three times before I switched to this regimen, and, by her vet’s instruction, she must stay on a very low-fat diet. In addition, she’s allergic to corn, wheat, milk, eggs and beef.

I’m very careful to feed her quality cooked ingredients—grass-fed bison, a combination of organic vegetables and just a little organic oats, with powdered probiotics sprinkled in the bowl before serving and a multi-vitamin-and-mineral supplement daily. She also gets some well-washed raw fruits and vegetables as treats, which she loves. She’s trim and muscular at age 8 1/2, and her digestive system works perfectly since I’ve been feeding her this way. No tummy upsets whatsoever, and that’s great!

In October, 2012, the American Veterinary Medical Association announced a policy that recommends against feeding dogs and cats raw or unprocessed meat, eggs and milk.  The AVMA cites pathogens like Salmonella, E. coli, Campylobacter, Toxoplasma gondii (the parasite that causes toxoplasmosis), Cryptosporidium, Echinococcus, Clostridium, Neospora, and Sarcocystis. The AVMA warns that, in addition to the harm these pathogens can cause domestic animals, they can also sometimes be transmitted to their human counterparts. Needless to say, the raw dog food contingent stringently disagrees.

Dogs have been domesticated for thousands of years and evolved just as humans did. Domestic dogs aren’t carnivores--they're omnivores. Most of all, even though their original ancestors were wolves, domestic dogs are not wolves. They don’t live in the wild, so why should they be fed as if they do? Think about it. Should you eat raw meat because cavemen did eons ago? Could your evolved stomach and immune system tolerate that type of diet?

The “raw versus cooked” dog food controversy is every bit as heated as politics and religion these days, so I expect to get verbally trounced in this Q&A session. However, I feel comfortable with my stance because it’s shared by my dog’s vet and by the American Veterinary Medicine Association.  I will continue to feed my dog high quality cooked foods, just as, I feel certain, people with the opposite viewpoint will continue feeding raw meat to their pets.

Hi Jaye,
      I think farming methods have much to do with the increase of  such problems with the food. Where I live, I have beef from local animals and eggs from neighbors. I do wonder if AVMA  gets paid by pet food makers. Thanks for your answer.

2. DrMark1961 profile image100

The homemade diet Jaye uses is very good, but the AVMA recommendations are a crock. Yes, they get a lot of donations from Purina. See the reason for their statement?

3. JayeWisdom profile image80
      JayeWisdomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

AMVA is all for homemade food, just so it's cooked if meat, eggs or dairy, and thoroughly washed if produce to prevent pets from ingesting pathogens.

6. dorothy0328 profile image74
    dorothy0328posted 11 years ago

I stick with commercial dog foods. I have been told about the raw eggs being great for their coats however. I had a friend who's parents' decided to spoil their dogs with real meats. The female was given chicken and the male dog was given steak the problem about 6 months to a year later both dogs began to have seizures and one died. They were told it was contributed to the consumption of to much human food. Yes commercial dog foods do have these ingredients they are limited and regulated as to where when you buy a raw chicken breast and cook it they are bound to have hormones and antibiotics that may not be good for your pet. I have also learned an important lesson about people food with dogs my father's pit bull loved to get the last bite of his dinner when he was done so in return for her laying down and being a good girl he would reward her with a bite after he was finished. Problem with this was she became very territorial of not only him but his food as well the end result was her becoming aggresive whenever he ate around anyone else and that had to be stopped as she lunged at me and I was just sitting there so from there on out none of our dogs receive any human food at all its milk bones and science diet for them.

1. Melissa A Smith profile image100
      Melissa A Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Feeding a raw diet requires all parts of the animal (organ meat). Feeding only muscle meat (the parts humans like)  will cause nutritional imbalances.

2. Blond Logic profile image90

Hi Dorothy,
      Thank you for relating those two stories. Both of those would have been traumatic.

3. JayeWisdom profile image80
      JayeWisdomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Feeding chicken or beef from factory farms ensures that pets (or humans who eat this type of meat) will consume hormones, antibiotics and--don't forget--filth. Buy grass-fed/organic to avoid those things.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)