jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do I prevent my dog from nesting?

1. rdlang05 profile image88
    rdlang05posted 5 years ago

How do I prevent my dog from nesting?

My female, 6 month old, australian shepard mix is digging in her bed every night for a long period of time.  It's keeping my fiance up.  Currently she is in her crate with foam mattress covered in fabric.  Is there any way we can prevent her from keeping my fiance up all night and still give the pup what she needs for a bed?

2. innerspin profile image93
    innerspinposted 5 years ago

We used to have a dog that loved re-arranging her bedding, she had an old duvet to lie on. She would move it around a little each night to suit her needs - like you might fluff up a pillow. Didn't take long for her to be happy. Perhaps a mattress doesn't give your dog that option. If the pup's in a crate anyway, could the crate be moved further from where you sleep? Good luck keeping your ladies happy!

3. agilitymach profile image99
    agilitymachposted 5 years ago

All dogs do scratch at their crate bedding normally for a bit before falling asleep.  If she is scratching throughout the night, there may be a few problems.

She might find the bedding you have for her uncomfortable, and she's attempting to correct that.  You might try different bedding.  I find that dogs generally like much less bedding and more firm bedding when they are young and as they age, they start preferring the thicker, cushy bedding.

She might be in pain from another reason.

She also might be bored.  Giving her something to chew that is safe and indestructible might help with boredom.

4. Faithful Daughter profile image86
    Faithful Daughterposted 5 years ago

I had an Australian Shepherd mix for 16 years. Now this is a very energetic herding breed that will need lots of exercise. I also found this breed does not like to be confined to small spaces and can get destructive if they are. She never dug her bedding though (maybe because I gave her the freedom to sleep where ever she liked) but my present little Pekingese mix does. He's destroyed my couch, carpet, anything he uses as a bed. The reason behind this is very simple; they do not like the flatness of their bedding.

You can use the foam mattress you have but place movable material on top of it, like plush towels, blankets, an old cut up comforter, etc. Something they can bunch up and lay on it. Think of it as a human fluffing their pillow for extra comfort.

working