How do you pick names for your pets?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

How do you pick names for your pets?

We had some unusual names for our pets when I was a kid (my brother named one cat "Mody" because the cat sounded like its 'motor' was running when it purred.  Any cute stories about pets' names in your household?

2. Twilight Lawns profile image73
    Twilight Lawnsposted 11 years ago

I have sendom had the chance to name any of my pets. I have had many over the years, but will just refer here to my dogs the Norbury Mudhounds mentioned in the Hub of that name.
    Firstly, Dulcie, my first Norbury Mudhound. She came to me, already named after the British actress, Dulcie Grey (or Gray, I can't remember the spelling).
    Her pups from her "First Marriage" were:
    Harry, named by John, who initially gave me Dulcie.
    Zoki, named by Nemanja, a Serbian boy in my class who spoke no English and asked me if he could name the puppy. (Zoki is the diminutive of the Serbian name, Zoran -male variety).
    Malcolm, who was given away by me and called Dax but eventually was returned (Hooray!) almost two years later.
    The day he returned, he and I were walking on Streatham Common and he wandered too far and for some reason I called out, "Malcolm" (not Dax) and he came back. So obviously he liked being called Malcolm so that became his name.
    From Dulcie's "Second Marriage) there was:
    Elisabeth, named after the heroine from one of my two favourite operas, 'Don Carlo' - Elisabeth de Valois. Elisabeth was content to be called just "Elisabeth" so we left it at that.
    The other bitch I kept from that Litter was also named fever the Heroine of my other favourite Opera: 'Semiramide'. Her official name was Semiramide Dorking-Dog, but like her sister Elisabeth de Valois, she was happy not to "pull rank" and accepted being called Semi. (See my Hub of the same name)
    So I didn't get to name all my animals, but my Best Friend, Judi, who stole one of Dulcie's first litter,named that one, Tallulah Blankhead, also known as Tally.

Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I love your creative way of naming your pets!  It would be neat to be surrounded by opera characters - although I am charmed by the Zoki story!

3. carolp profile image78
    carolpposted 11 years ago

As we decided to have a dog in our family, we wonder what name do we give to our dog? The breeder gave us a tip that the first letter a dog's name have to begin A when the dog is the first birth, so A like Amor. If the dog is the second birth, the name would begin with letter B. Our dog is a second birth so we named her BENDA.

Wow! I've never heard of that tradition!  Makes sense - but I guess you'd never get as far as Spot in one litter!

2. faisalb87 profile image41
      faisalb87posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow....

4. bohemiotx profile image80
    bohemiotxposted 11 years ago

With my last pack of cats, I wanted multicultural names for them. Mr. Ro' had Black and Hispanic roots to his name. Ro' is short for "rojo," Spanish for "red." Mr. Pugh is my favorite octogenarian neighbor (African-American).Mr. Ro's nickname was "typing companion," because he used to lay in between my keyboard and computer screen when I was typing. Dat got his name from Texas A&M/Dallas Cowboy linebacker, Dat Nguyen (Vietnamese). Dat's nickname was "Silky Smooth," because of his unique fur. Ms. Kwame was named after the first president of Ghana, Kwame Nkrumah. Smoky (Tiger Owl) sounds Native American--the only non-red tabby of the bunch.   Screensaver had exotic broad red stripes; she couldn't be caught in the move to a new house. I guess she was a white lady. Lupita means "little Lupe" in Spanish; unfortunately, this cat had the nickname "Boring Cat" also--monotone, repetitive meow, easily the dumbest cat of the bunch.

Ha! I had to laugh at your Boring Cat reference!  I've had a cat named Squeeky before - no other name would do; that was the only sound he would make.  I think I may also have had a relative of your keyboard companion!

5. Shaddie profile image77
    Shaddieposted 11 years ago

I have a whole hub on the topic of naming pets: http://shaddie.hubpages.com/hub/Boring-Dog-Names

I really get sick of the same ol' same 'ol when meeting new animals, and I offer some ideas of how to figure out better names in my hub. It was originally geared towards dogs, but it can obviously work for any pet smile

Cool! I can't wait to read your hub!  I agree - naming tricks can be interchangeable.

6. mvillecat profile image69
    mvillecatposted 11 years ago

Our pet names have always come from literature...Scout, Pilot, Zelda. All except one-Annabelle-who we let a foster child name. I like the tradition we have started.

Oh, yes!  Scout is one of my all-time favorite characters!  Great way to name your pets!

7. bravewarrior profile image86
    bravewarriorposted 11 years ago

I normally watch their personalities.  If I have to wait too long to see who they are (in order for them to know their name), I pick something biblical.

1. Twilight Lawns profile image73
      Twilight Lawnsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What?  Like God?
      That's the first one that springs to mind.
      Good name for a dog if it's dyslexic.  Then it has a good chance of recognising its own name when it's written.

8. nishantrana2507 profile image60
    nishantrana2507posted 11 years ago

my girlfriend name is shalini one of her cat name is gracy because the cat color is grey.

1. nishantrana2507 profile image60
      nishantrana2507posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I PICK MY PET NAME  ON THE COLOR OF PET

9. Alisa Arishina profile image60
    Alisa Arishinaposted 11 years ago

I know this is terrible, but I have a puppy that's been with me for weeks that I just can't give a name to. She's so cute, but nothing seems to fit her, because we always call her baby, kitty, little one, etc.

Also, I have a cat named Cat, and a dog named Bunny. As you can see, I have a problem in the naming department.

1. Twilight Lawns profile image73
      Twilight Lawnsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you can be good at naming animals if you let them tell you themselves.look at the great poet, U? S, Elliot in his poem'The Naming of Cats'.
      It's a brilliantly funny poem, and it might give you some ideas.
      Or conversely, you could sit down wit

10. tipsheets profile image61
    tipsheetsposted 11 years ago

I like to name my pets after a favorite book or movie character.

11. profile image49
    spotty25posted 11 years ago

well if you have any kids or you have already said no more kids you could by a dog and if have a name that you always liked but not been game enough to give it to one of you kids you may as well give it to the dog or anything that you get but not really a fish that wouldnt be reasonable. :>)

That's cute - and I think I've known people who have done that!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)