How do I keep my German Shepherd from barking at the mail carrier?

1. Brenda Grow profile image55
    Brenda Growposted 5 years ago

How do I keep my German Shepherd from barking at the mail carrier?

2. ThompsonPen profile image77
    ThompsonPenposted 5 years ago

I have a client who has a problem puppy. Well, she's not really a puppy, she's ten. But she has a bark collar that squirts lemon-scented water at her chin every time she barks. She stopped pretty quick. Smells nicer too!

3. DrMark1961 profile image98
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

This is a big problem for many people in uniforms. Dogs see them as strange and feel threatened. The best way to stop the barking is by using classical counterconditioning. I have a hub about the subject "How to help a dog that is afraid of fireworks" and Alexadry also has a hub about the subject. The method will require the assistance of the mail carrier, UPS person, meter reader, etc. When the person approaches the dog they need to toss a special treat, something the dog does not normally get. Tell them they can not hand it to the dog and get into the animalĀ“s comfort zone. Just toss it and walk away. The amount of time will vary for each dog but if the person does it every day the dog will look on that person as a distributor of treats, not an invader. Again, it is important that they not try to hand the treat to the dog, just toss it from a distance.