Effects of Pollution on Animals - Air Pollution
• Acid rain destroys fish life in lakes and streams
• Excessive ultraviolet radiation may cause skin cancer in wildlife
• Ozone in the lower atmosphere may damage lung tissues of animals
Effects of Pollution on Animals - Water Pollution
• Nutrient pollution (nitrogen, phosphates etc) causes overgrowth of toxic algae eaten by other aquatic animals, and may cause death.
• Chemical contamination can cause declines in frog biodiversity and tadpole mass.
• Oil pollution can negatively affect development of marine organisms can also cause gastrointestinal irritation, liver and kidney damage, and damage to the nervous system
• Mercury in water can cause abnormal behavior, slower growth and development, reduced reproduction, and death
• Persistent organic pollutants (POPs) may cause declines, deformities and death of fish life
• Too much sodium chloride (ordinary salt) in water may kill animals
Effects of Pollution on Animals - Soil Pollution
• Can alter metabolism of microorganisms and arthropods in a given soil environment; this may destroy some layers of the primary food chain, and thus have a negative effect on predator animal species
• Small life forms may consume harmful chemicals which may then be passed up the food chain to larger animals; this may lead to increased mortality rates and even animal extinction.
by ngureco 8 years ago
Should Big Companies Be Taxed For Environmental Pollution?
by growithme 3 years ago
What damage does pollution cause to your skin?
by IHT Farooqui 10 years ago
Dear Friends,Every where in tis world pollution is killing us. THousands of vehicles are rolling out from assembly lines daily adding hazardous in the environment. I know this is a hot topic for the engineers but can you suggest some thing how to improve fuel quality and lower down the hazardous...
by IDONO 6 years ago
Should the U.S. be putting so much time and money into climate change issues?Whether you believe that climate change is man made or natural, isn't the issue. But billions upon billions of dollars are being spent on regulations and fuels everyday. But what about the rest of the world? If this is...
by brianmanana 4 years ago
Why is it so hard for people to realize that our environment is being depleted at a fast rate?
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners. Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners. HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc. HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.
|HubPages Device ID||This is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.|
|Login||This is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.|
|HubPages Traffic Pixel||This is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.|
|Remarketing Pixels||We may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.|
|Conversion Tracking Pixels||We may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.|