jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

How often does a chicken lay eggs?

1. scoop profile image84
    scoopposted 5 years ago

How often does a chicken lay eggs?

2. Trish89 profile image67
    Trish89posted 5 years ago

A friend of mine had white laying chickens and on average twice a day.

3. Scribenet profile image87
    Scribenetposted 5 years ago

Hmm...I always assumed it was one a day and there are times when they do not produce eggs...like when they are still young  and during times of the year...but it has been awhile...my parents had chickens.

4. Goody5 profile image69
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

I used to raise chickens, and they laid eggs everyday. I also had a turkey and she laid an egg every 3 days. I found her after she fell off of a truck just before Thanksgiving. When we first got her she laid one white egg. Then for the next 6 months she didn't lay anymore eggs. Then all of a sudden she started laying a brown speckled egg every 3 days. We figure the change in the egg color might have been because of a different diet. We weighed her every Thanksgiving, and her last weight was 30 pounds. She loved grapes and ate 5 every day, and she was so smart that she counted them as she ate them, and after the 5th grape she walked away. We named her Beaker because they snipped half of the top part of her beak off before we found her. We figure it must have been to prevent her from fighting with other turkeys. I've gotten way off of the subject here, and I'm sorry about that, so once again our chickens laid eggs every day.

5. DrMark1961 profile image99
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

It takes about 26 hours for an ova to pass down the female reproductive tract and come out as an egg.
    Any chicken that lays more often than that is not only a physiological miracle, she is probably an alien. Twice a day would be stupendous. Would your friend be willing to contact a poulty professor and sell his birds for thousands of dollars each? I would be glad to serve as an intermediary.

1. Scribenet profile image87
      Scribenetposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That makes sense... also explains why there were not eggs from every chicken each day...because it took longer...we were seeing eggs each day but obviously from different chickens as their eggs developed. I just learned something new...thanks smile

working