jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

How would you calm a hyperactive or nervous dog?

1. midget38 profile image90
    midget38posted 5 years ago

How would you calm a hyperactive or nervous dog?

2. DrMark1961 profile image99
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

Food, music, massage, or walking.
    If you would like to read more I have published a hub on the subject, called "How to get my dog to relax"

1. midget38 profile image90
      midget38posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Mark!! WIll visit the hub in a bit.

3. agilitymach profile image97
    agilitymachposted 5 years ago

It depends on what is causing the issue.  Hyperactive and nervous are two completely different things.  A hyperactive dog is perfectly happy, is usually bold and isn't fearful.  It just doesn't have an off switch.  This dog will need a job and LOTS (hours and hours) of exercise.  I compete in agility and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE me a monsterous, hyperactive dog.  I own one, and he is a complete blast.  But he needs lots of mental and physical activity.

If the dog is fearful and nervous, this is different.  Exercise and socialization will help this dog, as will training classes.  However the exercise needs to be in a very controlled, safe environment that encourages the dog to become more bold rather than overwhelms the dog to more fear.

I would suggest you get with a really good positive reinforcement trainer or behaviorist and get some strategies in place for your dog.  I have a hub on finding the right obedience trainer that can help you get with a good trainer. smile  Do make sure they are a positive trainer and not a punishment based trainer as you may be dealing with some fear issues.  Good luck!

4. teaches12345 profile image95
    teaches12345posted 5 years ago

I don't know but a couple of people I know have one and I would like to pass the information on to them.  Of course, they would not believe their pet to be of this nature, but they are only looking at it from their point of view.  Love dogs, but some times they need some quiet time.

1. agilitymach profile image97
      agilitymachposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Remember, some people like a hyper dog.  I do.  I went looking high and low to get mine, and I think he's great.  He's not everyone's cup of tea, but he sure is mine!!! smile

5. Silver Poet profile image74
    Silver Poetposted 5 years ago
  6. Don Fairchild profile image78
    Don Fairchildposted 5 years ago

Ha ha, how about a beer? Whoa, just kidding folks, no no please don't call the PC police....  OK gotta run now.... bye

7. ptosis profile image75
    ptosisposted 5 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7563136_f260.jpg

The Anxiety Wrap┬« - A patented product that helps dogs  feel calmer and more confident.

Or just an old sweater - seen them on big dogs at the pound. It has to be snug not loose to 'work'I saw a sari wrap ( the kind used to carry babies for tiny dogs.   .

My dog gets cold easy and is not from nerves. so I put 'clothes' on him when  less than 35 F degrees if walking for an hour or more. My Chug has a Hub and a very well trained 'owner' (who's the real owner???)

My dog chugs was getting his 'underarms' from the harness all bald of hair from rubbing ( I had it on tight) so I made sheep 'pillows' and loosened it up so his hair will grow back. The red dog coats is  store bought but his butt still shakes from the cold so I have made with velcro a extra 'skirt' to cover his butt for freezing temps.

working