How to calm someone with bipolar down

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)
  1. RGraf profile image88
    RGrafposted 14 years ago

How to calm someone with bipolar down

2. Luminaria profile image59
    Luminariaposted 14 years ago

I have Bipolar and the things that work for me vary to my degree of mania or depression. There are days when a nice quiet bubble bath will work, then there are days when going for a walk works. It also varies on the person, as each one of us are different. Another thing that will play into the situation is the age of the person.

You can try reading to them, talking with them, jumping in the car and going for a ride, do something that they like to do no matter how much you hate it. If the person is manic, keep them busy. If the person is depressed, then try to find something calming but enjoyable for them. Taking pictures or writing are two good things to do.

There is no right or wrong answer here. If this continues at a severe rate and you are allowed to converse with their Doctor, then I would discuss them the possibility that their medicine might need adjusted.

3. karent profile image61
    karentposted 13 years ago

I have bipolar and the thing that gets me into the most trouble are my thoughts.  To calm down, I need to slow down my thinking and get more rational.  Sometimes, "mindless" activities like playing solitaire or bejeweled on the computer will focus me on the game and calm me down.  Having a friend I can trust talk me through things by asking good questions and helping me to see the irrationality of my thoughts is also helpful.  Probably the easiest way to "snap out of it" is to engage in physical exercise.  Exercise has great benefits for mental health and it can just plain wear you down so you aren't so agitated anymore.

4. Jenny Anne profile image60
    Jenny Anneposted 13 years ago

There is no best method, as all suffers are individuals, diverse in their disorder and symptoms.

For my son, when he was extremely manic (up) he could have auditory hallucinations, and be out of touch with reality, be overly aggressive one moment then sobbing the next.

The best thing we ever did for him was stop trying to "get him out of it" and just BE with him THROUGH it.

Just acknowledging that what he was experiencing was real to him, and validating his experience was key.  He would then trust us enough to allow us close to him and be with him during his difficult episodes.

We always could talk about it in more detail later, and of course call the doc and make an appt. 

As long as no self harm or harm to others is occurring then try to be there as they ride the wave.

Take care,

Jenny

5. lanealanea profile image62
    lanealaneaposted 13 years ago

Hello there, I am familiar with your situation. Its a great idea to find a way to acheive a nice clean living space with little to no negative or emotional distractions or memories that remind you of those thoughts that trigger you. I know it may take some time but if you keep reaching for positive short exciting goals that you would like to reach you can make these things come true for sure you can. Have a little care package ready for yourself with your favorite music that you like to hear when you want to calm down usually you know just what that is. Then, clothing, what your wearing makes you feel comfortable or not, make sure to have plenty of your favorite clothing around if possible. Paint your room pink thats my best suggestion to calm you down and look into color therapy. The thing about the thoughts are that once you just let your mind free to think and you have time to think then your mind takes over and its probably not even your actual thoughts you would be thinking had you had other activities to keep you busy. Basically, fill your mind and your day everyday with everything you can to make you happy, feel good, look good, sleep well eat healthy as you can and dont worry at all if you cannot do this overnight it could take years to acheive your new goals but even one step at a time feels better and hopefully your outbursts will become less and less and disappear and I promise you that its truly possible. Give yourself a break your hard on yourself and your mind especially. Spoil yourself a little and occupy your mind with colorful things, things that make you happy exercise is the ultimate too. Good luck and if you can get yourself in a pink room the color of bubble gum then your off to a wonderful start. I have a hub on how color affects us if you want to check it out. Have a nice day and remember how worth it you are so do what you do to get what you want. You can do it. Lanea

6. profile image0
    lambservantposted 13 years ago

I was in a coping skills group and one week we talked about creating a soothing first aid kit. You take a basket or box or someother container, and fill it with things that calm you. I read on a website recently, that finding things to cover all your senses is a good idea. Here are somethings that you can put in your self-soothing first aid kit:

1. Smell: a scented candle, incense, body lotion, etc.
    2. Hearing: A relaxation CD or mellow soothing music (be careful of sad or angry lyrics or blue intrumentals. Find something that is positive and soothing. I like to use an intrumental hymns CD, progressive relaxation exercise CD, or nature sounds CD.
    3. Touch: Bath salts for a bubble bath, a favorite blanket, stuffed animal, your dog or cat to pet.
    4. Taste: a favorite snack. Fruit, a few candies (this is not about stuffing ourselves, which is counterproductive), a flavored herbal tea.
    5.Sight: Special pictures that bring you joy. A DVD that has soothing music and nature scenery. A favorite book, devotional/reflections book, a Bible or book of poetry. Avoid the TV or movies, They are overstimulating.
    These are just a few ideas. Be creative and have fun. I have found much relief from this. However, you must be able to recognize the early symptoms of your anxiety or negative mood and use your kit in the earlier stages. Otherwise, if you are in crisis mode, this will not be helpful at all. Have fun.

7. Flightty profile image56
    Flighttyposted 13 years ago

Sometime the best to help someone is not saying anything. Bipolar people often tend to get upset when you try to help them. In my opinion is letting the bipolar person find his or her comfort zone is the best thing to do. paitence and time is key to deal with Bipolor people.

1. Broken-Angel profile image59
      Broken-Angelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like this comment, i myself need to be left alone at times of episodes. x

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)