Do you keep your cat indoors or let it outside and why?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Eric Calderwood profile image79
    Eric Calderwoodposted 5 years ago

Do you keep your cat indoors or let it outside and why?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7783512_f260.jpg

2. Theophanes profile image96
    Theophanesposted 5 years ago

They have been kept indoors their entire lives for the simple fact they cannot be run over by cars, eaten by local predators or stray dogs, and they are not going to be introduced to any diseases other cats outside might have. The average lifespan of a cat that is allowed outdoors in the US is two years. Indoor cats usually live past 15. Its food for thought and cheaper... no need to waste all your money on vaccines and medications to treat diseases they got outside.

3. Scribenet profile image83
    Scribenetposted 5 years ago

I agree with Theopanes. Outside cats also prey on song birds if they have a chance and if the cat is kept indoors from kittenhood...they never miss being outdoors. Mine is an indoor cat!

4. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago

We have two that we've kept inside.  For the same reasons as Theophanes and Scribenet said.
    But along the way, we kinda adopted a neighborhood cat whose owner didn't want it anymore, plus 2 kitties of one of her litters.   They're all fixed and vaccinated now, but it's not very feasible to keep FIVE cats in the house (though we kept them indoors this winter), so those 3 are indoor/outdoor kitties.  (For one thing, our male indoor cat has decided he's not gonna keep tolerating them well,)  and it's difficult to play referee all the time, so the 3 others get the big outdoors sometimes, the indoors sometimes, and the garage and basement the rest of the time!

To tell you the truth, I often get in quite a quandry of emotions about kitty freedom! haha.    I know our cats are safer inside,  but when I let those other kitties outside and see how much enjoyment they get from running free,  how it satisfies their wild hearts,  I feel like a jailer when I keep them inside!  haha.   Oh well,  we do the best we can with life and kitty life!

5. Meisjunk profile image89
    Meisjunkposted 5 years ago

I've had both, and I've found the cat allowed outside was the one that was much more tolerable and capable of...well, just about everything. The one I owned a couple of years ago had originally been a barn cat, and she'd been amazing and better than a guard dog. She lived for 19 years.

The cat I own now is only just now, at 7 years old, becoming more self sufficient, and that's because I'm now letting him outside and trying to teach him how to BE a cat and how to hunt. xD He's so pathetic at it, I swear! Yeah, he's still needy, but that's just his personality.

I let him outside only for a couple minutes at a time, which honestly I think is all he wants (especially right now while it's cold), but I keep him inside for the most part just to lessen fleas.

He was born in a mall pet store and brought home by my cousin originally, who had bought him for her daughter. And yes, even as a kitten, he "missed" going outside. Being a vocal cat he would, even back then, sit in the window and cry for hours. Letting him outside to sit and smell on the porch for 10 minutes calms him down better than anything else. xD

It really is preference, but most of the preference I think has to do with fleas.

6. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

All four of our meows are indoors. Every cat we had that we let outside did not come home for some reason. One we found run over by a bike. The other's just seemed to vanish. Some of the best cats we ever adored and I hate to think of their ends.

7. Amanda108 profile image93
    Amanda108posted 5 years ago

My cats are outdoors. They've been raised to get to experience the world out there and they would be very unhappy to be stuck indoors after living the other way, but in the future if I get another cat it will be raised to know only indoors because it will be easier.

I will say indoor/outdoor doesn't seem to make a different from what I've experienced between my cats and family cats. They can take care of themselves pretty well out there and if you live on a dead-end dirt road as I do then cars aren't much of a concern.

8. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 5 years ago

Theophanes sums it up nicely. I'll add that as long as they always stay inside and you don't have other pets that go outside, you don't have to worry as much about those annoying and disease carrying fleas and ticks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)