jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

What kind of larva is this and how do we treat it in a beehive?

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 4 years ago

What kind of larva is this and how do we treat it in a beehive?

We found these larva in our beehive and I want to know what they are and how we can treat the beehive.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8152882_f260.jpg

2. jimmythejock profile image86
    jimmythejockposted 4 years ago

Hi Paul, found this on the web hope it is what you are looking for.....jimmy
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s … iyuJaE9ing

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
      Paul Edmondsonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That's it. Thanks Jimmy!

3. tsmog profile image80
    tsmogposted 4 years ago

Hello Paul. Discovering intrigue and remembering a friend who raises bees near by in San Diego County I first emailed a nephew. A recent mustang grad in micro-biology with some odd internship assignments I thought he may offer some insight. No reply yet. His mom a biology grad and his sister will be there next year. Almost a heard? With biology they are great go-to resources. I toured Pomona when considering Architecture once. Ran an invitational cross-country race there and what a hill they had with half a dozen switchbacks. Grueling . . . course.

With what Jimmy provided, a little research I thought of a hub, yet still challenged with stuff today, I thought not. There were about one half dozen pdf files from Arkansas, Clemons (the first to begin studies), Oregon, and local to you is UC Davis. UCD began a study in 2010 and is current today. I am not sure if they are interested in spread of manifestations or not.

The Oregon state PDF offers an extensive bit and byte with bibliography. A great example too. There are diagrams for making home made traps and how to control. Clemson's is written and easily understood. I sought there first pondering latitude and with longitude and such regarding same = same. 

Oregon PDF = www.orsba.org/htdocs/download/SHB.pdf‎ for traps design Anyone who can bar-b-que ears of corn could assemble this easily, said with jest.

eprints.ru.ac.za/53/01/volume1.pdf‎  is a doctoral presentation in its entirety for a Rhodes University student's dissertation. Interesting perspective, although I only read for information. Filed for future reference. Great example how to write a dissertation. May be a hub there.

If all conditions are sought that would be the GOTO article seeking learning and understanding colony growth and etc. A great model descriptor for behavioral study(s). However, the traps as shared by Oregon's PDF for a stand alone hive may be all that is required.

I do farm nectar and study it daily. However insect manifestation is a minimum with a variety of birds. Hummingbirds are there, yet I have this small little flock I haven't been able to identify yet that feast on the insect life that hinders. The king snake in the garden help with rodents of course. The other life is what seems to pollute. Early morning parking lot and toss the empty can games. A little different than kick the can said with jest . . .

Thanks for the thought exercise. I think I will go back and look at that Rhodes paper now.

tim

4. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 4 years ago

These are so small, yet they could be very young larvae from the hive beetle.  I would visit your state IPM  (integrated pest management) website for more info.  Beetles tend to overwinter in damp soil, so a good tip is to keep hives away from these areas. Good luck! smile

working