jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

How many chickens do I need to get at least 9 eggs weekly?

1. earnforlife profile image61
    earnforlifeposted 4 years ago

How many chickens do I need to get at least 9 eggs weekly?

I am considering purchasing a chicken coop for my sons. They like eggs and I heard that raising chickens for eggs is cost effective and easy to do. Nine eggs weekly would be fine because I do not want to have too many chickens. I am not sure how many chickens would produce this amount.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8259425_f260.jpg

2. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 4 years ago

A hen takes about 20 hours/24 hours to produce an egg IF FED ENOUGH OF THE RIGHT FOOD - protein especially is important to keep the shells strong and the bird healthy. You can give supplements too and other scraps.

I'd say you'll need at least 7 healthy hens of the right age. If they're too old they won't produce consistently good eggs, too young and they won't be ready for steady production.

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

If you buy hens who are already of age you could easily get 7-14 eggs from two hens a week. 3 hens would pretty much guarantee this as long as they are being fed the right diet. Again, don't buy chicks, buy full grown laying hens. My sons love their chickens.

earnforlifeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that answer. So with your own experience 3 hens would be fine. That's great because I really would not want to have more than a few to care for.

2. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

We have 3. One for each child and get plenty. I have noticed though the kids who only liked eggs a little before have began eating them a lot more now that they are involved in gathering them. Fun! 3 is plenty!

4. DrMark1961 profile image99
    DrMark1961posted 4 years ago

I do not know of any hen that can defy the laws of nature and produce an egg in less than 24 hours; it usually takes more like 26 hours.
    Peeples answer is fine. If you really only want 9 eggs a week 3 hens are plenty, but you will probably end up with over a dozen per week. If you have extra, give them to a neighbor!

earnforlifeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks DrMark. I think I'd store the extra!

working