jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What do I need to know before buying Chickens for the purpose of producing eggs?

1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 6 years ago

What do I need to know before buying Chickens for the purpose of producing eggs?

I want to have my own fresh eggs and we are thinking of buying a few hens and a rooster. What do we need to know prior to doing this?

2. profile image0
    Gusserposted 6 years ago

The rooster is totally unnecessary unless you want to raise chicks. The hens lay without a roosters help. Figure out how many eggs a day you want, get that many hens plus about 1/3 more. 6 eggs/day--9 hens. Some days you get more some less. Every 2 years get new hens ( about 6 months old) and eat the older ones as they start laying less.

3. Diana Lee profile image84
    Diana Leeposted 6 years ago

Make your selection on the eggs you want to produce.  Some hens are bred for egg producing while others are for meat.  Some hens lay brown or greenish blue eggs instead of white ones. No matter what the color, there is no difference in the nutrition value they have. They must be kept warm to keep producing year around and must be fed a good mix of feed which is 3/4 corn. Unless you want to hear it crow or hatch chicks from sitting hens I'd skip getting a rooster.

Check out this hub: http://diana-lee.hubpages.com/hub/THE-M … RS-OF-EGGS

4. sjwigglywoo profile image72
    sjwigglywooposted 6 years ago

If you want hens solely for egg laying then go for hybrids rather than pure breeds. Take a look at this website it has lots of useful information for anyone thinking of becoming a hen keeper and lots of useful links about different breeds. Like Diana has said having a rooster in your flock is probably best avoided. You do not need a rooster for your hens to lay eggs, only if you want to breed.

http://www.squidoo.com/sharing-the-good … er-of-hens

5. afriqnet profile image48
    afriqnetposted 6 years ago

Selecting Chicken for eggs can be a challenging task for people who are new to backyard chicken rearing. While this may be a challenge the rewards that come with backyard chicken rearing are amazing and worth every effort to get started. If you are looking for ideas on selection of chicken for eggs, this there are great and informative ideas here. read more

working