jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How safe or dangerous is a dented can of cat food, even if it is still sealed?

1. Tom Vogler profile image82
    Tom Voglerposted 4 years ago

How safe or dangerous is a dented can of cat food, even if it is still sealed?

I recently purchased a case of cat food in which 6 of the 24 cans were severely dented.   The previous case had 2 out of 12 that were slightly dented.  I will likely either start buying my cat food elsewhere or simply buy the individual cans.

2. LCDWriter profile image96
    LCDWriterposted 4 years ago

If you bought a can of food for you or your pet that contains a dent, is it still safe to eat?  Find out! read more

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I don't think small dents are really any big deal as long as there are no actual punctures in the cans. If there are no breaks, the food is still contained in a vacuumed package and will stay fresh until the date on the can. What would have me concerned is there might some small hole which can't be seen easily and you might end up feeding something to your cat which is tainted. I'd suggest using either of the alternate methods. Individual cans are easier to inspect before you buy them and buying somewhere the people are more careful in handling product may also be a good reflection on how they handle things like making sure expired food is removed from the shelves.

4. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 4 years ago

Generally speaking, there is no real danger in dented canned foods unless they are bulging, leaking, or have air pockets comprising the seal. This can be determined if the top can be pushed in and out while  making a popping sound when pressed. Aluminum cat food cans are very prone to dents, but few are worrisome.

working