How do I discipline a dog not to pee all over the house?

1. zinco profile image73
    zincoposted 2 years ago

How do I discipline a dog not to pee all over the house?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12968821_f260.jpg

2. Austinstar profile image87
    Austinstarposted 2 years ago

First of all, you shouldn't think of it as "discipline". You are TRAINING the dog to go potty in a specific place instead of all over.
    Pick the spot where you want the dog to go potty and put down pads. Praise the dog each and every time the dog goes on this spot and on the pad.
    Do not hit, spank, or rub a dog's nose into its waste. That signals to the dog that you don't care about his toilet, you are just punishing it.
    There are some helpful potty training information sites on the web. Just google, "how to potty train a dog" and study up on the current helpful methods.
    I think there is a "keep away" kind of spray for dogs that will mark "no go" areas. Try Amazon.com

3. Annsalo profile image83
    Annsaloposted 2 years ago

All dogs should potty outside in my opinion. The idea of having pads in a house seems both unsanitary and a bit backwards. In my experience teaching a dog to go outside is fairly easy.
    Positive reinforcement when they go outside is very effective.
    Teach the dog whatever words you want that relate to pottying. We say "go potty outside" Then when you let it out and it does well say "Good dog pottied outside" Repeat the words often so the dog learns what you are saying.
    Use a kennel when you are not going to be able to tend to the dogs needs every couple of hours. Crate training was one of the best things we ever did. Most dogs learn real fast that they don't like laying in their own mess, so they hold it.
    I agree with Austin, never hit your dog or rub it's nose in it's accident. If the animal goes in the house pick it up and take it outside immediately and use the words again. When we were training our dogs the neighbors probably thought we were crazy the amount times we were outside saying "potty outside".
    If the dog has never been trained, then it is going to need to go out every 2 hours until it starts going to the bathroom outside regularly. Just my experience.
    There is a "resident" dog trainer on here. DrMark1961 can be searched in the search bar at the top of the screen and help you find a ton of articles on dogs.

working