jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

My puppy refuse to use the bathroom outside and then will come inside and use th

1. profile image60
    Bellasmom2017posted 4 months ago

My puppy refuse to use the bathroom outside and then will come inside and use the bathroom any tips?

She's 10 weeks old and we are currently potty training her... she was doing great at first but now she's doing it constantly. I take her out 2 hours at a time and I also take her on walks. Most time I have to carry her to the spots to use the bathroom and then she will pull me back inside the house. She is a pit puppy .

2. DrMark1961 profile image100
    DrMark1961posted 4 months ago

She might be nervous about you standing over her. Are you keeping her in a box at night? First thing in the morning, take Bella out and let her do her business after she has been holding it all night. If you do not have an enclosed yard where you can release her and give her some privacy, at least turn your back and ignore her. Yes, most trainers will tell you to stand over the dog and then praise her when she is urinating. Dogs are all different, though, and some puppies are shy.
    When she goes in the morning, take her back in the house but keep her on the leash, and attach it to your belt loop or to your waist. Do not let her just wander around the house. If she squats like she wants to go again, tell her no in a loud voice, but DO NOT hit her. Just pick her up and take her outside again. (I hope you do not live in an apt. A pup cannot hold it that long.)
    Have you read my article on housetraining using a cardboard box? It can usually be done in 5 days or so, but some puppies take longer. I usually train my Pitbull puppies by keeping them behind a nightstand next to my bed for those few days, and if they get upset at night I am right there for them.
    Let me know if I can be any more help to her.

1. profile image60
      Bellasmom2017posted 4 months agoin reply to this

I do live in a apartment but the door leads to right outside . She wants to be under me all the time but I do let her loose and use the bathroom wherever she pleases . I have to keep an eye on her because I have to pick it up afterwards

2. DrMark1961 profile image100
      DrMark1961posted 4 months agoin reply to this

Try using the cardboard box at night, let her go first thing in the am then. It does not sound like shyness.

working