House training issues.

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Eiddwen profile image75
    Eiddwenposted 12 years ago

Hi,
    I'm trying to find a solution to a six year old Staffie who will not be house trained.
    Rocky has  been rescued by my daughter about 8 months ago. He is the perfect pet, and so sweet natured except he will not do his business outside, he waits till he's in the house.
    This is when he wants to relieve himself or have a poo.
    When she gets up in the morning or comes home during the day there is poo or pee everywhere.
    He will not do anything out the back !!
    He is six years old and we know nothing of his background. My daughter also has four small children and loves him to bits but is also at the end of her tether with this problem.
    Anyone have any ideas??
    Eiddwen.

1. Auntie D profile image60
      Auntie Dposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You need to remove the smell of his urine wherever he has had an accident in the house otherwise he's going to continue using that spot or in that area. If he's been raised in the house at 6 yrs. old he may have a hard time being outside for long periods of time. Try taking him out within 10-15 minutes after he eats and walk around with him. If he doesn't do anything bring him back inside but watch him and as soon as he starts sniffing or walking around take him outside again. This may take a while but it should work if your consistent... and praise him when he finally does his business outside.

1. equine profile image68
        equineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Antie D.  The Urine removal is critical.  One way to find urine is to use a UV light and enzyme cleaner. The second comment I have is you need to catch your dog in the act. Getting angry after the fact will only confuse him.  When training animals timing is everything because they do not speak English.  I actually wrote a hub called: Effective Potty Training Techniques for Dogs and Puppies

I have personal access to a very good professional dog trainer in St Louis. She is a close friend. If you have other questions, I am happy to ask her.

2. Acheolis profile image61
      Acheolisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had the same issue! Tried everything listed above and that still was not enough to end this problem. The one thing that did work for me was going by a schedule. Like humans, animals  have 'bathroom patterns'.Keep an eye on your pet and try to keep track of when these accident occur and around what time. Once you find the pattern,stick to it.If for some reason you can't take them out on a certain time, stick them in a crate and then take them in a timely manner.This will help teach them how to hold it until going outside.
      If they happen to have accidents between 12pm and 12:30. You would take them outside between those times.Even though before my dog was stubborn and would hold it, leaving me standing outside for what felt like hours, I never gave up.As you do this, your dog will then begin to understand that this is where he/she is to do it's biz.
      Another important thing to remember is cleaning up the accident areas. If a dog can smell where it has 'marked' before, it will continue to think the house is one big bathroom. There are plenty of pet friendly products for covering pet odors of this category .

3. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm having the same problem with a 'rescue' - what I have had to do is block access to the area where she was 'pooping' and clean the area thoroughly. She doesn't go anywhere else in the house so now I am able to get her to go outside. I'm going to keep the area blocked for about six months until she is used to going outside.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Do you have a dog house?

I think the dog should be outside for an extended period of time, so it would get use to doing it's business outside, instead of inside.

That's the only solution I can think of off hand.

Eiddwenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much for replying and I'll hand this one on to my daughter.
      She does not have a 'dog house' but I know he starts crying if he's left outside for too long so maybe he is being brought in too soon.
      Thanks again for the reply it's much appreciated and I'll let you know how we get on !!
      Eiddwen.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome.

I hope others come by your thread and offer up other suggestions. Good luck to your daughter.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

He is pooping where he has always pooped.  To get that to change you need to do what your would with a puppy. Lay newspaper, he will naturally go on it.  Move the paper over several days to the door then outside.  praise using the paper and praise going outside. You can discourage going inside at night by crating him at night.

Eiddwenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much psycheskinner,I will hand this one over to my daughter.
      Your help is apprecated,take careand have a great day.
      Eiddwen.

4. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 12 years ago

Maybe she could start giving him treats when he actually does 'go' outside. Conditioned response has been a successful animal training system for me, and dogs are smart, even Staffies. It doesn't take them too long to associate the behavior with a reward. Good luck and I hope she finds a way. This could ruin a perfectly good rescue!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)