Zoos are actually beneficial for the animals residing

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)
  1. silverstararrow profile image74
    silverstararrowposted 11 years ago

Are animals treated well in zoos the world over? I've come across various instances of animals dying in zoos because of disease and malnutrition. Though this may not be the case everywhere, it isn't an easily dismissible fact either. Are zoos really a safe haven for wild animals? hmm

1. Melissa A Smith profile image95
      Melissa A Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's really going to depend on the country and the zoo, they are vastly different. There are good schools and bad schools, good doctors and bad doctors, ect. Also, some species are treated better than others. I observed that while visiting the National Zoo, but it was mostly a great zoo. If animals are on display dying, I can take a good bet that this is a beyond bad zoo.

2. Daffy Duck profile image60
    Daffy Duckposted 11 years ago

Different zoos treat animals differently.  There are some high quality zoos.  We can't look bad on all people in a specific group because of what a few do.

Personally unless the animal is an endangered species they belong in the wild.  It is good for education, but if locking you up would be good for education would you be happy with that?  Just a thought.

Well, I'm on a different level of consciousness than any other animal, so locking me up, and locking an animal up, are 2 different things. People would be appalled if we walked adult humans on leashes and crated them, forced them to provide transportation and pull our plows, so does that make doing so with animals wrong?

1. silverstararrow profile image74
        silverstararrowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, there are so many zoos where caged animals are faced with harassment and teasing by the visitors and tourists. Locking up animals does indeed show the superior attitude of humans, when it is done more for the entertainment of the public, and less for the animal's welfare.

However, that is just one perspective and applicable to limited areas.

That depends on what you mean by harassment. Maybe every now and then a moron bothers the animals, but guess what, the animals survive. I as a human do not have a perfect life. I don't think any animal does. Do you think occasional harassment is comparable to the stress of wild living?
          So what if it's for entertainment, as long as no poor messages come across? If locking up an animal makes a human feel superior I would have to ask again why should I care? Do you think the animal does?

2. Daffy Duck profile image60
        Daffy Duckposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Animals have feelings.  They feel sad, mad, happy and a host of other feelings.  Just because they aren't conscious about life and death doesn't mean it's ok to cage them.

The stress of them living in the wild is not new to them.  That is a part of their NATURAL life.  Animals do care about their freedom.  Since you don't care about them why should I care about you?   Goodbye  sad

You sound as though you have your mind made up, due to your 'goodbye'. Are you afraid you might start thinking differently if you stay? If my replies are so offensively wrong they should be easy to rebut, but all you've done was give me your emotional interpretation of how animals feel about captivity. I'm sure animals can feel very 'sad' when their life is in the process of being ended due to predation. This is also a part of our lives yet still seems to cause plenty of emotional distress. Provide proof to back up the statement "animals do care about their freedom".

2. jenb0128 profile image89
          jenb0128posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I volunteer at a wildlife rehabilitation center that also has a "mini zoo" attached to it. The animals that live there are non-releasable. These are animals that have old injuries that will never heal properly (there are some hawks and vultures who can't fly due to old wing injuries, for instance), or they are imprinted because they were raised by humans, and therefore have no fear of humans. There's no way to fix the injuries of any of these animals, so if they weren't "education animals," the Department of Natural Resources would force us to have them euthanized. These animals are well loved and cared for. They get plenty of interaction and enrichment. No, their lives aren't "natural," but at least they have a life, and they seem happy or content. We've even had an owl and a turkey vulture COME BACK after getting away.

I know all zoos are different. I just brought all that stuff up to point out that a natural life simply isn't possible for some animals, and that a LIFE in a zoo or nature center is their only chance of a life at all.

3. Shaddie profile image77
    Shaddieposted 11 years ago

Not all zoos are great. I have seen some atrocious ones in Asia (Japan), but Asia has some really funny laws about animal husbandry standards in general...

I have never personally seen a "bad zoo" here in the United States, but I know there exists improperly cared for facilities just like with anything we come across in life. I think zoos can be amazing, beautiful places for animals, and through conservation and education are helping animals every day.

The zoos in my home state of Washington both work together to breed, raise, and release the rare Columbia spotted frog, which are disappearing due to habitat destruction and invasive bullfrog predation.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)