Cheap Easy Crafts for Kids: Paper Basket From Old Newspaper
Teach your kids or students how to weave by creating a waste basket out of old newspaper. Weaving is a craft that is normally associated with plant fibers, such as palm fronds, but any strong bendable material will work. Recycle your old newspaper and create a personal paper basket with this crafty technique.
Gather Your Stuff
- Old newspapers
- Safety scissors
- A paintbrush
- A spray finisher
- Bounty paper towels
Guide to Creating Woven Construction Paper Baskets
- Craft Stick Lamp
Create a lamp out of craft sticks.
- Crafting With Paper: Paper Bucket
Creative paper craft project using a poster board.
- An Easy Illustrated Guide to Creating Woven Construction Paper Baskets
Follow my simple directions and photos to create cute spring woven baskets using construction paper.
- Cut the newspaper into about 200 4" x 22" strips.
- Have the kids tightly roll each strip of paper and then press down to flatten.
- Weave the bottom of the basket by laying down two rolled newspaper strips on a flat surface. Take two more rolled newspapers and weave them by placing them on top, tucking one underneath one of the bottom rolls, and tucking the other underneath the other bottom roll.
- Repeat the process until you have the size you want for the basket's bottom.
- Make the bottom snug by pushing the newspaper rolls close together so there are not any gaps.
- Bend the ends of the rolls up 90 degrees and interweave the newspaper rolls as you did with the bottom. This time you will be building the strips up to make the sides.
- Create the top by folding over a long strip of rolled newspaper so it is doubled and then glue down along the rim of the basket.
- Paint the basket with a layer of gesso to cover the newspaper print. Let it dry.
- Add some color by painting the basket as desired. Paint it one solid color or create geometric designs by painting the rolled sections different colors. Let the paint dry.
- In a well-ventilated area, spray the paper basket with a protective finish. Let it dry.