- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Gifts Using Bottle Caps, Lids and Other Upcycled Material
Make Upcycled Gifts for Mother's Day
Inspiration for Upcycling Jar Lids and Bottle Caps
I love pictures - taking them, looking at them and displaying them. Therefore, I am always trying to find different ways to display pictures around the house. I like using glass jars because I have so many glass jars; hence, I have plenty of jar lids, too. Why not make that into a picture frame? Aside from using these in just my own home, I have also decided to give them as gifts. Maybe you will want to do the same!
Gifts from the Heart
As Mother's Day and other holidays approach, I am thinking about heart-felt gift ideas that are memorable and meaningful. Most importantly, I want to create gifts that my children can dip their hands into, as well. I think making gifts for others, like family members and close friends should be something fun and special. If the kids can get involved, even better! Also, if it somehow gives you a reason to reuse material you already have at home and turn it into a treasure, then why not give it a try?
Upcycle Jar Lids and Bottle Caps
What You Need to Make a Hanging Photo Wall Décor Gift
You will need:
- Cereal box
- Scrapbook paper
- Ribbon to match paper
- Jar lids and bottle caps
- Glue stick
- Hot glue gun
Don't forget the ribbon for your gifts
Make Upcycled Gifts Using Cereal Boxes
How to Make Hanging Photo Wall Décor Gift
- Cut off the sides of the cereal box. You will need the front and back of the cereal box for this project.
- Use the glue stick to glue the paper on the cereal box. It would be best to cover the cereal box side that has the picture on it so the back is just the plain side.
- Punch holes into the corners of the boxes, leaving some space to not tear the box when you insert the ribbon. The top box should have four holes total, two on the top and two holes on the bottom.
- Measure how long you want the ribbon to be at the top when the photo wall décor is hanging. Cut the ribbon and tie it into the holes, knotting it in the back so as not to be seen.
- Connect a smaller amount of ribbon in between both boxes, again, tying it in the back to not show. Make sure all the knots are secure before moving on to the next step.
- Next, trace the lid around the photos and any paper you want to use. I traced around black construction paper so I can use a white chalk to write out letters.
- Cut out the circles and fit them into the lids and bottle caps. You do not necessarily need to glue the photos in if they stay put once you slide them into the lid.
- Write out any letters inside the lids if you want to spell out something or place stickers or other embellishments inside.
- Finally, use the hot glue gun to glue the bottle caps and lids onto the boxes. You can choose to place photos in all the lids and caps or write out something with the lids, like my Mother's Day gift that reads, "Happy Mom's Day."
Picture Frames Using Lids and Bottle Caps
Have you ever made a gift reusing material?
All You Need is Some Imagination
I like to save items after the original purpose from them has gone. You never know what you might be able to use them for later. I began thinking this way much more after having little ones. Every kid I have encountered so far enjoys doing arts and crafts. It is practical to let them make things out of reused material. They have a wild imagination and I am happy to expand my own while looking for ways to grow with my kids, teach them and share experiences with them.
More DIY Upcycled Ideas on My Blog:
I enjoy DIY projects and arts/crafts for the home, decorating, holidays, special occasions, babies, children and adults. I also enjoy creating in the kitchen with cooking and baking.
Mod Podge Also Works Well to Hold Crafts Together
Hand Made Mother's Day Gift
Make Photo Magnet Gifts Reusing Jar Lids and Bottle Caps
Another quick and easy gift to create upcycling bottle caps and lids are photo magnets.
What you need:
- Lids and/or bottle caps
- Magnets or magnetic paint
- Hot glue
- Colored paint, optional, to cover entire lid or paint a design
Easy Photo Magnet Gifts
Save the Date Magnet
You can also use these photo frame magnets for "Save the dates" for a wedding. Place a photo of the soon-to-be-married couple inside with the date or just write the date inside. Guests can place the magnet on their fridge as a reminder of the big day.
How to Make Photo Frame Magnets
- Trace the lid around the photo you plan to use.
- Paint or decorate lid if you like - the most you could design would be the sides of the lid.
- Paint the magnetic paint on the back of lid or glue a magnet on the back.
- Insert picture in front.
Tutorial for Upcycled Photo Frames
Items You Can Save to Upcycle for Gifts and Other Treasures
There are plenty of things you can reuse to create something totally new and fresh. You just have to use your imagination. Here are some ideas of things to upcycle:
- Jar lids
- Bottle Caps
- Glass bottles
- Glass and plastic jars
- Plastic fruit cups and yogurt cups
- Cereal boxes, shoe boxes, tissue boxes and other small boxes
- Popsicle sticks
- Toilet paper and paper towel tubes
Don't forget some glue sticks for your projects
Upcycle Old Art Canvases and Fabric
Another gift idea I made was reusing an old art canvas I had and some fabric left over when I reupholstered some chairs. I hung this wall décor in the same room with the chairs so they would match. This would be perfect for a gift, as well, including Mother's Day, Grandparent's Day or Valentine's Day.
Heart Wall Décor for Any Occasion
How to Make Hanging Heart Wall Décor
What you need:
- Art canvas or uncut cereal box
- Old fabric
- Iron-on letters, optional
- Cut out paper or fabric heart (I had red thin fabric that I was able to use for this)
- Hot glue gun
- Measure fabric around canvas or cereal box and leave enough to staple onto the back. Fold tightly and staple excess fabric on the back of the canvas. If using cereal box, you can hot glue the excess on the back side of cereal box. Just remember to have enough of the fabric folded back there so it looks nice and tight, covering the entire front and sides of box.
- Next, trace out a heart using another colored fabric.
- Iron-on letters of message or monogram initials or name onto heart, if you like. Follow instructions that are included with your iron-on letters.
- Cut enough lace to surround heart and hot glue to heart.
- Attach a ribbon with hot glue on the back of the canvas or box.
You can also use photo frame lids for this project, too.
A Gift Made from Love
Gifts for Mother's Day, Father's Day and Graduation
Another idea is to use plastic lids from peanut butter jars or other larger food jars. You can paint and decorate it to match your kitchen, dining room or table setting. You may also want to insert a photo inside as long as it is laminated to protect the photo. These coasters would be a nice gift idea for graduates moving into their own place.
The ideas are endless when it comes to finding creative ways to upcycle materials into gifts. With Mother's Day, Father's Day and graduation approaching, these gifts can come in useful.
Happy creating and upcycling!
You Might Also Enjoy My Other Articles:
- Fun Things to do to Celebrate Mom
Mother's Day is coming up fast. Do you have a plan or do you need more ideas to celebrate Mom's special day? Check out these suggestions for things to do that Mom will appreciate.
- Creative Ways to Recycle and Re-purpose Glass Bottles and Jars
Reusing glass bottles and jars helps save you money and helps the environment. Read here for some crafty ideas to reuse glassware.
- Creative Eco-Friendly Tips and Ideas to Go Green In and Out of the Home
Being green helps save our planet and is a great way to live a more frugal lifestyle. This article shows you creative and easy ways to go green with these simple tips.