- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
How to Make a Quick and Easy Beaded Bookmark
Give Your Book a Treat
Are You a Digital Download or A Paper Pages Sort?
Which Type of Books do you Read?
Why we Still Need Printed Books
I love my Kindle. I love the accessibility of a million titles, available with the smallest click of a screen. I am amazed that when I finish the third book of a series at 2am, instead of being left hanging, wondering, waiting, desperate to find out which way the cliffhanger ended...
Well, actually no. Not with a Kindle. Now I can download book four, and find out immediately that the author has saved the heroine, beating all the odds.
There in lies one of my main reasons for still reading printed books.That period of anticipation, of wondering and waiting for the cliffhanger to be revealed is a huge lure of the reading experience. A pleasure dragged out and savoured, rather than being cut short by a 3o second download.
With your printed book, by the time you get to the shop, you really want to know. As you take book four in your hands, tangible and withholding those answers you have been craving. With the smell of new paper, the rustle of pages, and the smoothness of a touchable cover. It is an experience for all the senses. That is why I think paper books will always exist. Printed books appeal to all the senses and keep that element of intrigue burning brightly.
At this point, I will share a secret with you. I treat my books to special bookmarks. Chosen by me, made by me and placed in those hallowed pages, only by me.
They are quick, easy and inexpensive to make. Read on and I will show you how...
Make Your Own Beaded Bookmark
Choose Your Bookmark Finding
The Basic Materials you Will Need
- Wire Cutting Pliers
- Round Headed Pliers
- Flat Pliers
- Sterling Silver Plated Bookmark Finding
- Sterling Silver Headpins
- Some Beads of Your Choice
- Safety Glasses
- A bead design board/Bead Cloth or just a piece of material where the beads wont roll.
Choose Your Beads
The Basic Tools You Need
Lay Out Your Design and Find What you Like
Lay out your choice of beads on your board or cloth and change them about till you are happy with the design.
Start to Make a Loop
Start With a Headpin
Use the round nosed pliers and start to turn one of the Headpins, use the end without the head. Start to curve in to make a loop shape.
Create Loops on the Headpins
Finishing that Headpin
- Trim the other end off from the headpin with the wire cutting pliers. Wear safety glasses and hold onto the end of the wire that you are cutting off, as it will ping off in any given direction, so you also need to protect anyone around you. The wire could cause serious damage if it did hit the eye.
- Using the round ended pliers curl the headpin around the bookmark finding.
- Slide a bead on the headpin and then create a loop under the bead with the round ended pliers.
Putting the First Bead on
A Step By Step Picture Guide
Finishing Your Work
- Make a loop in a second headpin, again trimming of the end with the head, and close the loop around the first headpin's loop.
- Put on the next beads from your design and then close with another loop.
- Repeat the process again, adding the next section of beads, and again closing with a loop.
- Finish the bookmark by using a headpin, but not trimming the head off this time.
- Put you final beads on to rest on the head, then trim to size, above the beads, leaving enough room for a loop.
- Finally, join the loop on your end section to the loop from the beaded section above.
Putting on the End Section
Pliers are a Jewellery Making Essential
Your Finished Bookmark
There you have it! Your own bespoke bookmark ready to grace those precious pages.
The Finished Result
Countless Possiblities and Opportunities
Remember that the beads and findings are what defines the look. Change to soft, delicate colours or striking, garish golds, to completely change the appearance.
Just pop your bookmark in a gift bag and then you will have the perfect present for your friends and family. It's one they will love, and even more so because you have taken the time to make it just for them.
If you have bought someone the perfect book for a present; then why not team it up with a customised bookmark to match?
Remember as with all beaded/wire products, these bookmarks are unsuitable for young children and present a choking hazard.
Jewellery can also provides an additional income source if you choose to develop your skills and product range. If you decide to pursue it as a business then Insurance and tax returns will then because part of the equation.
Thank you for reading and enjoy your creativity.
A Personal and Special Gift
Are You Ready to Create?view quiz statistics
Adorning the Book
© 2014 Anna Haven