jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How to select the perfect colored backdrop?

1. IntimatEvolution profile image78
    IntimatEvolutionposted 8 years ago

How to select the perfect colored backdrop?

All great photographers know just when and how to select the perfect backdrop for a photograph.  Well I would like to know how and when one can know.  What colors make the best backdrops or what colors are you own favorite to photograph.

2. bfk63 profile image48
    bfk63posted 8 years ago

I shoot mostly wildflowers and I try to use a natural bg color that makes a nice contrast with my subject. I get a lot of green bg's with red and blue flowers and keep a good working distance between the bg and subject, Hope this helps a bit.

3. lorgh profile image65
    lorghposted 8 years ago

While I was working as a portrait photographer I looked at what other professional were using.
    Most were using traditional blue, brown, black and white. 
    They were simple and when you added graphic and enhancements there was less to distract from the portrait.
    If you think about a shoot for a magazine that has a studio, they use only white or that lime green background. 
    Photoshop is a photographers best friend because you can put anything together or change colors.

4. dashdot profile image54
    dashdotposted 8 years ago

depends on the subject and the mood
    i only use white forstockshots in studio
    for headshots i have a personal favor for brown for i mosly like to shoot sepia asit complements the final image
    it mostly depends on what the photo is for; in an article? what colour? then i choose

5. dmvphotooutings profile image58
    dmvphotooutingsposted 8 years ago

Some photographers also separate themselves from other portrait photographers by only using one or two colored backgrounds. This way the customers who come to you know what to expect. You can also ask your customers to bring 2-3 outfits to change into.

working