jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

How can you use quotes for commercial purposes legally?

1. KarenCreftor profile image87
    KarenCreftorposted 6 years ago

How can you use quotes for commercial purposes legally?

I'm researching using quotes for commercial purposes and wondered what you know about it...
    Some say it's legal if it's a quote from something someone said not written.
    Some say it's legal as long as you acknowledge the author/artist/speaker.
    Some say you need written permission.

It seems to be a mine field! Anyway what's your understanding of using quotes and how would you go about finding out if what you want to use is in the public domain or not?
    ~Kaz x

2. mkiaconis profile image61
    mkiaconisposted 6 years ago

I would begin by looking up "Fair Use". It's a term used when you want to use copyrighted material, with some stipulations. I believe (but am not certain) you will need to be granted permission based on who said it, whether or not they're living, whether you heard it or it's already published (due to copyright on publishing as well as the author), etc. I hope this helps you find your answer.

3. Curiad profile image78
    Curiadposted 6 years ago

It is not always necessary to have the author's permission. If you are critiquing an article for example or commenting, it is not required. Here is a site where you can research this question and get a feel for when it is "allowed":

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/ … 30100.html

Hope this helps, Mark

4. KarenCreftor profile image87
    KarenCreftorposted 6 years ago

Thanks for your helpful answers and link.

I particularly want to use quotes in artwork with the idea of selling on merchandise, so I really need to get this right!

Off to read that link smile

~Kaz x

1. Angela Wesker profile image56
      Angela Weskerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hi Kaz, I have been researching the same content as this thread and was wondering how you got on? Were you able to use the quotes on your artworks?

working