jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

.Afraid to bake my polymer sculpture because of the inner frame...

1. katherinethorell profile image79
    katherinethorellposted 6 years ago

.Afraid to bake my polymer sculpture because of the inner frame...

Is it ok to still cook polymer clay in the oven if my "frame" has tape or paper on the inside? I'm assuming No...but it never hurts to ask, right?

2. Doc Snow profile image97
    Doc Snowposted 6 years ago

I don't know the answer, but it surely depends upon how hot:  paper ignites around 450 F (232 C.)  So, if you were 'cooking' the clay at temps lower than that, maybe.

3. Gareth Pritchard profile image86
    Gareth Pritchardposted 6 years ago

Actually I think you can but the best way to find out for sure is to just put some paper inside a piece of polymer and bake it really, don't you think, I know I would.

I don't think the paper will burn because I don't think the oven will be hot enough, it will make it very crispy and brown but I don't think it will go on fire even if you just put some in the oven that is not covered in polymer.

Test it out first is the best way to go but you will probably be best to put a couple of holes in it out of sight if you do bake it eventually, just to let any gasses out that might build up and cause it to pop holes where you don't want them.

4. katherinethorell profile image79
    katherinethorellposted 6 years ago

I didn't know that paper burns at 450 degrees. That's really good to know. Thank you for your help! I'm just going to have to run a test.

5. Bronterae profile image60
    Bronteraeposted 5 years ago

Cool piece!  I realize it's been a while but, in case someone else is wondering...If the paper and tape are completely covered it's perfectly fine.  I've done this with many items.  Stay away from scotch tape, it smells and doesn't stick enough anyway.  Always use masking tape or similar. 

Gareth is right:  paper will brown but not burn if exposed.  Gently cover your items with a flat piece of foil to keep clay or paper from accidently burning or browning the top edges.

Check out my hubs on Sculpey ideas/tips for more details...