Lifesaving tips to avoid getting sleepy while driving.
- Turn on your car's radio or music player very loud.
- Roll down your windows. The cold air will keep you awake.
- Stop at a gas station for some coffee or energy packets.
- Have someone with you, either to talk and keep you awake, or to swap driving with. They can also pay for some of the gas cost. Check Craigslist for your destination to see if someone wants to share a ride there with you.
- Avoid highway hypnosis. Don't stare straight ahead, the dotted lines in the road will put you in a trance. Keep those eyeballs moving!
- Don't be afraid to pull off onto the shoulder or at the nearest rest stop. Better a planned stop than an unintended one!
- Play mental games. For example, the Picnic Game. What are you bringing to the picnic? Think of something that starts with each letter of the alphabet and before moving on to a new item, recite the list of items you have so far.
- Obviously, get as much sleep as you can beforehand.