jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How much will it cost me in electricity to drive an electric car?

1. profile image45
    Deleryposted 7 years ago

How much will it cost me in electricity to drive an electric car?

2. sfmetro profile image61
    sfmetroposted 7 years ago

Depending upon how much you pay for electricity and the amount of electricity the car will need for re-charging, expect to pay anywhere from $0.56 to $3.18 per charge.  Considering, an electric car can go the equivalent of about 2 gallons of gas before it needs re-charging, the cost of electricity is substantially less than the cost of the gas.

3. aboxwell profile image52
    aboxwellposted 7 years ago

We drive a Mitsubishi i MiEV and have done some real tests on recharging and working out how much it costs.

During the summer on a 60 mile run with speeds of 55-60mph it took 6 hours to charge using 14.39 kWh. Our Electricity is 10.55p per kWH so the journey has cost £1.52, which is 2.4p per mile.

4. lime light power profile image60
    lime light powerposted 6 years ago

sfmetro is correct, however, 2 gallons of gas gets the average gas powered car, what 40 miles... hmmm. Most EV's get about 70 miles (low end) to 150 miles (upper end, Tesla) before needing a recharge. Compared to gasoline, EV's are pennies on the dollar to charge.

I recently wrote what I think is a nice little hub on charge times etc, which will help you to understand a little bit more about EV's their capabilities and if you apply your local utility rate to the battery sizes, will get you the cost.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Electric-Vehicl … -Explained