jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Have you ever wondered what happened to the EV1. An electric car that got over 1

1. M.L. Zupan profile image60
    M.L. Zupanposted 8 years ago

Have you ever wondered what happened to the EV1. An electric car that got over 120 miles per charge?

The EV1 was designed by GM from 1994-1996 and 1000 of them were leased between 1996 and 2002 - at which time GM pulled all the leases, crushed and shredded ALL EV1's and nobody has seen the since. And now we are suppose to be excited at the promise of a hybrid that only gets 40 miles per charge?

2. bvencill profile image53
    bvencillposted 8 years ago

I suspect you've already seen the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car?" but if not you should check it out.

It is a bunch of nonsense, isn't it?

3. JakeAuto profile image54
    JakeAutoposted 8 years ago

I tried to retrace the regulatory changes in California which initially dictated that in 1990 that by 2003 10% of the vehicles would be zero emission, scaring car makers into creating EV-1s and the like. By 2001 that was watered down to 2% zero emission and 8% were to be "Partial Zero Emission" which means "not what we really want but it sounds like it". When 2003 came around it all was repealed after the bad guys brought a federal suit, making the EV-1 a crushably superfluous.
    Just imagine if the 1990 mandate had been implemented.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Alternate-Energy-Car-Debate

4. Torch Harrison profile image83
    Torch Harrisonposted 7 years ago

The EV1's were rounded up and destroyed, all except one that I know of in a museum...and it exists sans engine, which was removed by GM before the body was given to the museum.  Nobody that I know of has given a reason why these cars, which I gather were dependable, were so destroyed.  You'd think if they had the technology, why wouldn't they be rolling out these cars TODAY?!

We may never know the real answer unless somebody from GM is willing to spill the beans!

working