jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why do most cars have speedometers

1. writerscentro profile image69
    writerscentroposted 6 years ago

Why do most cars have speedometers

Why do most cars have speedometers that go up to at least 130 when you legally can't go that fast on any road? (stupid, break the law).

2. Steve Orion profile image78
    Steve Orionposted 6 years ago

People speeding=more revenue for the Gov, of course!

3. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

To encourage you to break the law so the Gestapo can cite you and force your payment to their masters. It is also probably a way for the manufacturer to show you that the car is way more "sporty" than it really is. Hell, the seat belts are only good up to 70mph so the rest is just eye candy. Or perhaps they are encouraging you to run your Chevy Cobalt at the drag strip.

4. mattdigiulio profile image75
    mattdigiulioposted 6 years ago

Cars have speedometers to tell you what speed you're going.

I think you should reword the question,. It is not why their speedometers go that high, but why the cars are electronically limited at such a high speed. A speedometer needs to tell you what speed you're going, and if you're going 130 on the freeway, it should say that, right? So the thing then is, why are cars so fast?

Sorry if I'm coming off as a know-it-all. I'm not. I know very little. I think some cars are built to go that fast just as some cars are made with interiors that sport Brazilian mahogany and pleated lamb's leather. They are that way to set them apart from the crowd, and give a person material ambition. "My car goes 155 mph". "Oh, yeah, well mine goes..." Yeah.