jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

You don't really consider auto racing a sport, do you?

1. Barkley Rosehill profile image80
    Barkley Rosehillposted 6 years ago

You don't really consider auto racing a sport, do you?

2. Howard S. profile image88
    Howard S.posted 6 years ago

Absolutely. Of course, it depends on what you mean by auto racing and how you define "sport." I'll agree that watching NASCAR on TV is no more sporting than the Super Bowl or the Miss America Pageant. In sports, one generally competes against the clock, against obstacles, or against other participants. Sports have rules, safety equipment and officials. That eliminates street racing, e.g., which endangers both the participants and other drivers. See my hub on this topic:

Solo Autocross: Weekend Car Racing on a Budget

3. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

yes i do. give it a try and you would understand. most drivers are in better shape then a lot of athletes because racing is physically demanding. people consider baseball a sport and to me that's a joke.

4. billypetty22 profile image61
    billypetty22posted 5 years ago

Auto racing is definitely a sport. Basically a sport is anything in which an individual or a team competes against another individual or team. Baseball, football, and basketball obviously all contain those elements, and with any kind of auto racing, the racers are competing against each other. People always seem to bring up the argument that drivers are just driving a car, not really expressing any physical exertion. Thats where the difference between auto racing being a sport, and the drivers being an athlete become confused. Drivers should not be classified as athletes, but they are in a sport.