jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Which factor Influences your decision when buying a car?

1. Alexandru Covtun profile image60
    Alexandru Covtunposted 5 years ago

Which factor Influences your decision when buying a car?

Share your experience in purchasing a car

2. Bedbugabscond profile image99
    Bedbugabscondposted 5 years ago

The factor that influences me the most when buying a car is safety. I have three kids and they are very important to me. I don't like to drive because cars are like death machines. So to me, safety is really important.

I do a lot of research about safety, for example http://www.safercar.gov/, has a lot of information about recalls, safety ratings and more.

When trying to find out how safe a car is, use trustworthy sources. Do not use the car salesmen as your source. He/she is likely to pad the answer to make a sale.

3. Alexandru Covtun profile image60
    Alexandru Covtunposted 5 years ago

Thank you Bedbugabscond for sharing the link about crash tests! Think it'll help many people to take the  right decision when buying a car.

4. Ms Dee profile image85
    Ms Deeposted 5 years ago

A low income influences my decision when buying a car. So, first, I am looking at used cars, and I look for the make of car that is most reliable and of low cost to own. This also tends to be the make of car that has a good future resale value.

5. Cobrafan profile image80
    Cobrafanposted 5 years ago

A lot of things influence my decisions:

-Price is always a big factor. I think it is for almost anyone who can't afford to throw hundred dollar bills in the river just for fun.

-Mileage. Although higher miles doesn't scare me, I always prefer to see if I can find a good deal on a lower mileage car. That way I know there's a lower chance of me having to fix anything as soon.

-Exterior condition. I know how to paint and I love to paint, but if I look at a car with most panels in dire need of repainting, I expect to be getting a very good deal on the car. Painting a car is expensive if you can't do it yourself and very time consuming if you do it yourself.

-Mechanical condition. I always test drive a car before I buy it. If someone says they won't allow test drives, I'll go buy a car from someone else. Plain and simple, I need to know I'm not going to lose a wheel or blow the motor as soon as I start to head home. I like to know what's wrong with it so I know what kind of work I'm going to have to put into the car.

-Has it been smoked in? If I can tell a car has been smoked in a lot, I won't buy it. I hate smelling like smoke and I hate the smell of smoke. The only way I've found to completely get rid of the smell in a car is to replace the entire interior. I won't buy a car that needs the entire interior replaced unless I'm getting the car dirt cheap and most people won't let a car go like that just because they smoked in it (which is a common activity to them).

-Sales people. Seriously, the people trying to sell me a car influence whether or not I buy. If they push really hard to get me to buy the car, I'll probably walk away unless I absolutely love the car. I like people who are going to be real, tell me what's wrong with the car, let me look it over, and work with me to get a fair deal on both ends.

And there's plenty of other factors that influence my decisions, but I'm very picky with cars.

I do have to say though, safety is not one thing I look at. Thanks to Bedbugabscond for mentioning it. It's never been something I cared about. As long as it meets all my personal criteria, I couldn't care less about how safe a vehicle is compared to other vehicles.

working