Hit poorly parked car, am I liable?

1. jabelufiroz profile image72
    jabelufirozposted 4 years ago

Hit poorly parked car, am I liable?

So a friend of mine came over my house and parked his car slanted on an angle taking up space in two lanes in my driveway. he wasn't parked behind my car directly, but his car was sticking out. Later that night, together, we got in my car to go get something to eat. I pulled out directly behind me and hit the part of his car that was sticking out into my lane. He was in the car with me and didn't notify me that he was so strangely parked. Now he is filing a claim, will my insurance company deny the claim?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

Were the police called? Without a police report, the insurance company will probably not cover his claim. I think the best route for him to take is to make a claim with his own insurance.

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

Legally or morally? Legally,  it depends on the laws of your state. Morally, I would say you are. Everyone does stupid things from time to time and your friend needs to learn how to park properly. But that doesn't put him 100% at fault. You should've been paying attention and avoided the car. If it were me, I'd offer to pay half because I'd consider part was his fault for being parked wrong and part my fault for not paying enough attention.

working