Why is car insurance and seat belts required in most states?

1. Ytslemp profile image58
    Ytslempposted 4 years ago

Why is car insurance and seat belts required in most states?

Should it not be at our own free will to buy or wear something?

2. larakern profile image73
    larakernposted 4 years ago

Some vehicles,depending on their age, are grandfathered in so that it is perfectly legal for them to not have seat belts. My truck is a 1963, so I do not have to legally get seat belts for it. I agree that the government should not make us buy or wear something that we do not personally agree with. But on a side note, I am planning to get seat belts because it hurts a lot when you are driving peacefully down the road and the suddenly have to jam on your breaks. Thus slinging you around and banging you up against doors because someone cut you off... This happened and it was terrible, I was pretty bruised up for a week or so...

3. holly-turner profile image59
    holly-turnerposted 4 years ago

What about for the person you may crash into? It's insurance not just for you but for other people. Seat belts were brought in to save lives, which they have done very effectively, particularly for children. With cars the inherent problem is that it's possible that you won't just injury yourself or just wreck your car: you can hurt others physically and financially as well. Those laws are the result of such clashes, I imagine.