jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

I can't keep van tire from losing pressure.

1. Foodeee profile image76
    Foodeeeposted 4 years ago

I can't keep van tire from losing pressure.

We own a 2008 Town and Country and these newer model cars have the tire pressure sensor. The problem is that the back drivers side tire keep getting low. I have had it in the shop over a dozen time in the year to be fixed or tested. There was a hole it one time that the garage fixed. The last time he said the stem was leaking and replaced it. That actually worked longer than any other time. Its leaking again. He said it might be that the wheel is ruined for some reason. I don't want to buy a wheel since they are very expensive. Does this seem like a viable reason for a tire to keep leaking?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8821871_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    dragonflycolorposted 4 years ago

Over the years I've learned a few things about cars from my husband, even though my eyes glaze over as soon as he starts approaching the subject.  One of three things could be happening:

1. The wheel is bad and you may need to just get a new one.
    2. Your mechanic might be trifling with you or is not knowledgeable enough to fix the leak (it happens).
    3. Something is causing a hole in your tire when you drive around or park (check your driving route to see if there is anything that might penetrate a tire)

I'm sure there might be other factors, but I would get another tire.  If the leak happens again, it could be something you are driving on.  Other than that, you might have a nasty neighbor or unsavory relative messing with you.

3. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 4 years ago

The question's answer is yes. That solution is expensive too. The most common possibilities with the supplied information could be:

(1) the tire valve itself is leaking where it is inserted into the wheel. If a metal stem there is a rubber neoprene grommet or washer at the inside of the wheel sealing the stem with the wheel.
    (2) the valve stem is leaking, even though replaced once before
    (3) the original patch is now leaking
    (4) another object struck the tire somewhere and is causing air loss
    (5) Another possible cause is sidewall cracking or bead cracking.
    (6) Time accounts for air loss with expansion and contraction, yet most likely all tires would have 'close' to the same air loss.
    (7) someone is causing it to occur

A tire patch by many locals is considered temporary as it is very dependent of where it is, how it was applied, and workmanship. For instance many states forbid a tire patch on the sidewall or the crown of a tire only allowing it in the tread area.

The method to determine where is easy, yet is time consuming at times, and does determine cause. It is to place the tire either in a full tire tank submerging the tire completely and observing or in a smaller tank and rotating the tire while observing. Sometimes that can be a half hour of time or longer to determine the leak's source.

Foodeeeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think it must be a bead leak but it happens so very often.
      I may have to get someone to see if the rim is bent in someway. Thank you

4. hardlymoving profile image99
    hardlymovingposted 4 years ago

You've probably have a rim leak.  Places like Costco and Walmart tire centers may not use rim leak sealer before mounting the tire.  The sealer is like a semi-adhesive glue that prevents air leakage where the wheel rim mats to the tire.

Foodeeeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The repair shop is a local garage that has been in business for a long time. I think he did put the sealer on the wheel and it didn't work. Or I may be mistaken.

2. hardlymoving profile image99
      hardlymovingposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Real test is to dunk the wheel and tire underwater and look for leaks.

5. lupine profile image73
    lupineposted 4 years ago

You may be losing air in the tire if you are slightly driving over the curb in driveways.

working